A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Been busy!  (Read 840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xyphir
« on: August 15, 2014 02:50:17 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on here for a while, but I've been busy! I hope you enjoy my latest creations.
My best friend has been busy growing a baby and I was busy creating a full layette for bubs.
And my other bestie's grandaughter had a baby, so was busy making things for her great grandson!

This is everything that we put in the package - minus the creepy baby doll we use to play with sizing.
Mum did the knitted stuff and I did the crochet stuff

The creepy baby doll lying on the mat

This is a replica of a layette I made earlier in the year for another friend. I like the 'brick' pattern. This works up really fast and easy.

And in blue 'coz he is a boy and there is nothing like starting 'em early with stereotypical gender norms! Lol

This is what Mum added

And this.
Mum does the best knitting. I love her stuff

And this is the first drop in the pond blanket I did. Didn't have a pattern so made it up by looking at LOTS AND LOTS of photos online.

These all went to Baby Boy who was born in March.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014 02:56:05 PM »

Okay, so the next thing was for my other friend announced she was pregnant, and everyone knows that a baby is just an excuse to make stuff. So I started on a shawl...

I thought I would make it circular, but...

By the time I got to this point, I had already used up one ball of wool. I realised it would use up too much wool, so reconsidered what I was doing...

... and started on this one, instead. This is one ball of wool in this pattern. Same 3.5mm needle. Much more economical... maybe...

Two balls...
Three balls... and I ran out with about 50 of the 'peaks' to go! Oh no! And stupid Spotlight wasn't getting any more wool for at least six weeks, and my friend was getting bigger and bigger... so I had to use similar but different stuff to finish - not that you can really tell unless you are looking and doing a CSI style investigation.

Finished shawl

I gave this for the baby shower

My friend started to worry that her baby would be very small because it was going to be born a bit early, so I made a little hat... only it was too small! Lol

And she needed a blanket, too. So I made another drop in the pond blanket, but in light yellow, light green and white.

So, you totally need a matching layette...

And another one. I like this pattern and made the stripes by going through the back loop and then, once finished, going across the 'stripe' by doing a row of SC into the front loops

This was my prototype which I also gave her

And any little angel needs an 'angel top'... which currently covers her from neck to toes! So cute!

Mum also made some stuff, so we gave together also for this little one.

And wrapped it up in a big smiley box

My friend was really happy and her baby looks ADORABLE.
Now to take a break and do some housework before starting on the next things. Have a few other projects to finish, so looking forwards to that Smiley
I hope you enjoyed the story
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014 04:27:51 PM »

ha ha loved your story!  But it seemed that the more you made, the more you still wanted to make....such a generous amount of chrocheted goodies for the baby and mama!

I love your finished shawl...it is gorgeous and so feminine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rodelphia
Re:
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014 04:54:52 PM »

Beautiful baby items! What pattern did you use for the shawl?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014 01:30:41 AM »

You certainly have been busy! Love the shawl  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014 01:45:39 AM »

Beautiful little baby items.  These are wonderful gifts for a mother-to-be. 
I particularly like your drop in the pond blanket and I love the shawl where you kept running out of yarn. It looks like a peacock's tail. Something to treasure and pass down the generations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014 10:15:18 AM »

Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone. I love making things and it is really special to be able to give things to friends.
I forgot to say, the 'round' fail-shawl, by that point it was also about 1/3 of the way through it and it was dinnerplate size, so quite small if I had continued.
This is the shawl pattern I used, but I added an extra 'row' of the pineapples. I like how there are little heart shapes created by the smaller pineapples within it. Link goes to my pinterest page which has some other pineapples on it. I'm a little obsessed with pineapples at the moment! Lol.
My friend will hopefully use it for modesty when breast-feeding in case there are people who are offended that breasts are actually functional rather than aesthetic Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/120893571220237873/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014 03:30:52 PM »

Why would you ever want to do housework when you can crochet?   Grin
Those are all lovely pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have boxes of vintage piano music.  Some as old as 1890's!  PM me if you'd like some!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hard Candy Take Me Out Blue Liner Review
Body Bronzing Spray Tutorial
Trainer Trials: Boxing Basics
4 Favorite Exfoliators
Expert Shares The Very Best Earth Friendly Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...