A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,339
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make this twist top???  (Read 886 times)
Tags for this thread: twist_top  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bohemiancupcakes:)
« on: August 05, 2014 09:27:38 PM »

so i've been browsing the internet and i came across this top that i adore and would love to have in my closet.

the only problem is that it's too expensive for my student budget. it doesn't seem to have too many seams, therefore i feel like it wouldn't be that hard to make.
BUT i can't figure out how i would attach the back and the sleeves to the front

CRAFTSTER AND CRAFTERS, PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014 09:51:30 PM by bohemiancupcakes:) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014 04:36:21 AM »

It does not appear that the sleeves are actually separately attached. They are cut "bat wing style" from the whole piece. And only seamed from the under side of arm to armpit and down the sides. I have been trying to study this criss-cross style myself. It appears that half of the garment you stitch wrong side out, and the other half wrong side in. Then when you turn both halfs of your seams to the insides, it twists. I could be wrong on this, but I can't imagine any other way to create this effect. And your fabric would need to be similar on both sides. Jersey knit. This looks to be a lightweight variety.

Do you have access to a serger? You will definitely need one for the construction and hemming. Or tear your hair out trying with a normal machine  Cheesy

Here is an image I found with the set in style sleeves, so you can see the difference where the seam connects at the shoulder. I am not seeing that on your photo picture: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/728600419_1/2013-new-dresses-V-neck-sexy-long-sleeve-maxi-casual-mini-dress-one-piece-Free-shipping.jpg

My suggestion would be to save your money, go to the fabric store, and look through their patterns. Even if you don't buy it, they generally give you a good idea on the back of the envelope to get you started. Often you can open the pattern and look at the instruction sheet.

Then find a blouse or T-shirt you have that fits well, to give you a guide for your sizing. And trace around it.

You might not want to purchase expensive fabric for your first try without a pattern. Check the clearance aisle. Even if it is an ugly color, in a similar weight of fabric to what you wish to use. If you are making the pattern yourself, you will probably wish to tweak it for your final product.

It is a very pretty blouse. I wish you the best of luck.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
bohemiancupcakes:)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014 12:53:33 PM »

that was extremely helpful.
thank you so so much!!!!!!! now i'm not as hesitant to start the project Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014 09:22:04 PM »

Excellent advice and I mostly agree with you stillatthetop.  But I think I see  seams at the shoulders of the sleeves..and shoulder pads.  If it were me, i would cut it in four parts.  Two tapered tube like drop shoulder sleeves (I worry that bat wings would add more bulk and battle with the front..), the loose front, and then a more fitted back...I personal would not bother with the shoulder pads...but it would make it hang...more structured.  If you cut the back as loose as the front, you will not be comfortable sitting, it will get caught on everything, and not want to stay on your shoulders.  What you said about the fabric choices is spot on.  If you get the right fabric, you don't even have to hem the edges...in fact you should probably not hem any of the edges, as they will tend to curl like lettuce leaves (so jersey or a knit of some sort is a must).  So it would be best to cut it with a rottery tool instead of scissors...it's hard to cut a continues even line with scissors.  I would also suggest ..some sort of support...across the back, from shoulder seam to shoulder seam.  Even a width of elastic would work better then nothing.  That's a lot of weight in the front, with no support besides the seams.  You could also face the back (meaning a smaller in length cut out piece just like the top part of the back..sorry don't know how much sewing terms you know Grin) with a stretch interface sewn in....hmmm and speaking of stretch, I think i would avoid any knit with Lycra in it.  It would end up a bit like wearing a live squid.  Since it's so large I believe you would need a more..stable fabric to pull this off.  And I completely agree about buying some 99 cent a meter/yard knit fabric to try it out on first...like...4 yards maybe?  and that is probably with out the sleeves...You could probably use an old sheet to get the basic fit, but it won't show you what you will need to do with the final knit.  And yes, a serger would help, but I think you could do it with a zigzag stitch...in fact I think I would stitch the serged and or zigzaged seams down anyway.  I feel you will want the seams as structured as possible to help to keep the shape.  I've tried some drapy things before, and it becomes a wresting match to wear if there is not some kind of...structure to it...

I agree it is a cool shirt, and please let us know how it goes Grin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014 09:23:30 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate Your Gift Wrapped Bottle
How to Wrap a Square Ended Box
How to Perfectly Wrap an Awkward Shaped Gift
How to Create a Fabric Bow to Decorate a Gift
How to Create a Gift Tag Using Wrapping Paper
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...