A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,563
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brave Merida Cosplay (Pic obese)  (Read 4464 times)
Tags for this thread: disney , merida , cosplay , category_featured_project , brave  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 05, 2014 06:07:41 PM »

Since the costume portion is done, I supposed I should post it here. My first cosplay attempt is Merida. Smiley
A lot of this is copied from my blog. It maybe might suffice as a tutorial for someone, maybe...

And onwards to the construction!

Fabric: The fabric is a lightweight linen blend from JoAnn Fabrics. I cant even begin to describe the color as I was stupid enough not to check the name. I know I have enough, though, I bought the whole bolt which had about half a yard more than the pattern called for. It really is the perfect color, youll see it shift throughout this blog with lighting, but it is pretty true to how it shifted in the movie too, so Im super happy Smiley The accents will be a slightly cream linen, that you see to the left of the first image.

Pattern: I selected McCalls M5499. I spent an hour searching through the books for something that would be as close as possible, for the best price, knowing Id have to change it a bit. I settled on McCalls for a number of reasons, but mainly because I felt like the dress on the right by itself was very close to Meridas, with the exception of the sleeves, which I knew I was going to have to drape and pattern myself. The back is a lace up. Not a corset-tight-as-possible look, but a relaxed-this-is-how-they-did-it-before-zippers look, which is exactly what Merida would have wanted.

On to some crappy photos of my first session!

That mirror is embarrassing, so please disregard how grimy it is. I was on a roll, so cleaning a mirror was not a priority. I used the shortening/lengthening areas of the pattern to place my waist, and it actually worked a lot better than the last time I tried to do it, so thats cool. For me being so short, I cut the length as it was for then and it has since seemed to work out better than expected.

The SLEEVES. Ohmigod, the sleeves. First, I cut out the sleeve that was listed for the first dress (Not the one I was using with the bell sleeves). This I put on and marked where I wanted the sleeve sections to sit on my arm. I really should have paid attention to the amazing Merida blog by Angela Clayton, and maybe my life would have been easier, but I love to make things complicated that end up looking pretty decent, so theres that.

Sidenote: Check out Angelas effing gorgeous Merida here! http://doxiequeen1.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/the-making-of-a-merida-cosplay-brave-part-1/ (She makes her wig, which I just didnt want to attempt for a first time.)

Here is my sleeve. I ended up starting with the two sections, then eyeballing in the right amount of puff for the cream parts and strips, pinning it all together and shoving it through my machine. I think that that was a good tactic(Sarcasm) But, I am pretty happy with them overall.

You can see the original sleeve cut out at the top of the middle picture. Thats also about how much cream fabric went into the elbow, before I trimmed it off. The ruffles at the edge were made by ironing a length approximately 3x as long as my wrist width and then stitching it with no backstitching at the beginning or end with the longest, straightest stitch my machine could do. I then gathered it by tugging on one of the threads (Cant remember if it ends up being the main thread or the bobbin thread), pinned it, and sewed it.

End of first session.

At this point I received the wig I ordered and went full throttle on another session because I was so darn in love with it!

This happened. But just the one sleeve, and the neck ruffles.

I cut the notch and sewed it like the pattern called for, and then I basically created a two tiered ruffle using the same technique I did on the cuffs. I ruffled the edging about 1.5 down from the fold on each side, and then started a new ruffle about 3 down in the middle for the notch. You can see the pinned result above, and then the sewed and trimmed as well below. I decided that since we dont see a whole lot of Meridas back between just not seeing it in the show and her hair, my ruffles would end at the sleeve seams, since the back of my dress laces up.

I used my preferred method of pin and shove through machine to attach the sleeve to the dress. It was a pain, but I think it looks good and I can move around in it, so success all around.

Front and back shots. I pretty much want to wear this wig all the time, now.

If I walk sideways everywhere, Im done!

End of second session because I had to go to work, boo.

I worked on the sash and buckle next. You can see details in my post in the polymer clay boards. These include shots of the fabric I ordered from Spoonflower of the DunBoroch tartan. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=434459.0#axzz39ZHVJBTu

For my husband's and I's 2nd anniversary we decided to go to the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Wisconsin. This led to a frenzied finish to my costume. I had picked up some Stuart hunting tartan for a Great Kilt for Shane and an Erisaid (Female version of a great kilt) for me. This looked so close to the DunBroch tartan that I ended up using it to create a little more traditional look for Merida. The bow isn't done yet, but it is made out of heated and bent PVC. Need to paint and detail it though, so it didn't come with.

I had so many little girls geek out over me, take pictures with me, and wave shyly at me at the Renaissance Faire. Between that and my darling husband, I had a wonderful day and felt so many warm fuzzies, despite the excess heat. Smiley
Here are a couple images I had sent to me by people at the Faire:

I know it's not a true tutorial, but I hope it helps if someone needs it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: The Little Library etsy.com/shop/Curiosandcreations
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014 06:19:12 PM »

Beautiful!  You make a great Merida!   Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014 06:38:55 PM »

Aw, thank you Ludi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: The Little Library etsy.com/shop/Curiosandcreations
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014 06:53:00 PM »

What a great job! Your costume is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014 08:21:07 PM »

Loved your story and it's a great Merida costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Chapa
Hardcore Yarnie!

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014 11:00:26 PM »

Wow! That's awesome!  I so cannot make clothes or costumes.  You look great btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014 11:15:40 PM »

This is AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThisUsernameIsTaken
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014 02:20:20 AM »

Sweeet Grin
You look just like her!
That's a wonderful costume  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3/50 projects in 2014

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.-Maya Angelou
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014 08:20:43 AM »

That is awesome!  Quite possibly the best Merida I've seen.  And I'd want to wear that wig all the time too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
silentblair
Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014 11:46:50 AM »

This is crazy awesome and you look amazing!
You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress
Craft Challenge #117 Announced – Gingerbread House Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...