A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Granny square blanket  (Read 1604 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , crochet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Immaculata
« on: August 05, 2014 07:44:53 AM »

This is probably the millionth granny square project on Crafter, but it's my first.

Just over a week ago, I came across a plastic bags with leftover yarn from a knitting project. I hadn't crocheted in a while, I was supposed to study for a resit, best timing ever :-)

One square only took me about 10 minutes and I took my bag of yarn everywhere. All of this was done outside my regular crafting time - I've worked on it on the bus, train, while watching movies and even while waiting in the kitchen for the kettle to boil. I stitched them together on Sunday because I couldn't figure out how to join as you go and then it took me about 2 days to weave in all the ends. I don't normally finish stuff this quick, but I decided not to give up this time.

It's not as neat a I hoped it would be. Apparently I have tension issues, some squares are quite a lot bigger than others. I don't have that when knitting, so I'd like some feedback on that.

It's about 75x75cm

Close up

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014 08:07:44 AM »

This style of granny square blanket is my favorite!  I love the bright happy colors with black.

I noticed that I crochet tighter when I am stressed...I just think of my crochet as reflecting my moods, so I think it is ok to have some differences in tension...

Yours looks fabulous and you would never know you had any issues!

I just love the blue, pink and yellow one...4 rows down, 2nd from the right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014 08:19:55 AM »

I love classic granny square blankets. The remind me of my grandmother's house. I wish I had your fortitude to put one together. Tension is something that gives me trouble too. I wish I had better advice, but I just try and pay attention as I work. I think your blanket looks wonderful and if there are some size issues, I think they'll matter less when you're curled up under it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
Immaculata
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014 10:26:32 AM »

Thanks for the kind words! That's what I love about Craftster. I come from a family of perfectionists and while I'm not like that myself, sometimes I still hear their voices in my head. It's good to be reminded that 'fit for purpose' is the main goal and anything on top of that is a bonus. And my wonky stitches indeed do have a story (I'd never thought of stress before, but that could well be the issue! Wasn't the easiest week ever)

I also love the classic items and I'd wanted a blanket like this for years. It was much quicker and easier than I'd always imagined it to be, it doesn't have to be double bed sized! The squares get addictive too, before you know you're crocheting outside your bf's workplace when you pick him up there.... you should have a go at it some day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014 11:16:07 AM »

Beautiful blanket. I like the colors you choose, bright and cheery.

Now, I have to look up "granny squares" on the web to discover how they are made. They seem fun to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014 12:55:47 PM »

That's so bright and cheerful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014 02:36:48 PM »

It looks wonderful. Quit kicking your own butt,  Immaculata  Cheesy I love your choice of colors, and the black sashing.

And yes, granny squares are fun to make. Just learn the single and double crochet. I suggest a size 8 "F" crochet hook for standard yarns, but you can use many others depending on your style and tension control. And the yarn you are using. And the size you wish for in your project.

And yes, they turn out different tensions sometimes, as in multiple sizes. When you are more relaxed, they will be larger. Mad at hubby? Tight stitching.  Roll Eyes

This is a wonderful project for members wishing to learn how to crochet. The piecing together is the worst part, but you can also use a large darning needle to stitch them together, and not have to wrap your threads to do the sashing crochet. But that is not really that hard to learn, either.  Grin

~T

1976...granny made me a vest of Granny squares.  Cheesy Back in time!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014 02:42:48 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014 08:28:38 PM »

Lovely blanket. I adore how the black margins give it a stained glass look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014 10:35:40 PM »

Tension, shmension. This is a beautiful blanket. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Crop Top
Back To School: Send Your Kid Back to School in Style
Back To School: 4 Hot Looks For the Fall Semester
The Hottest Celebrities on the Red Carpet
Recommended Clothes for a Beach Holiday
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...