A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,306
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Bleuette doll  (Read 2503 times)
Tags for this thread: beth_webber , bleuette , crochet , doll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2014 04:30:58 AM »

This pattern comes from the website of the awesome Beth Webber
She has made this pattern available for free here  and she is so helpful in answering any questions you have about it. 
She also has several excellent wig making tutorials.  I used  this one for the wig cap. Although it is for a Waldorf doll it adapts perfectly to Bleuette,
I chose to make the version that has the articulated wrists and ankles as well.  Her instructions are very clear and as I already said she is very generous with her advice on any problems you encounter. She also has lots of other lovely doll and doll clothes patterns - both knit and crochet.

Technical details
I used a 3 mm crochet hook and Vannas Choice yarn by Lion Brand which is one of the yarns she used. The colour I chose was Honey.  I found it worked up very nicely and is nice and soft despite being acrylic and therefore more hardwearing, which is always a consideration when making a childs toy.  I did find that it tended to split easily which was a bit of a nuisance but is obviously related to its softness. A tighter ply would probably have been harsher.
I couldnt find 9 mm doll eyes so substituted 10 mm. They do make it unsuitable for a very small child because they could be chewed out but then I dont think you would give a doll like this to a baby.
The joints were articulated with Double Strong Fishing Twine 210D/2 Ply  in dark brown.
Hair
I used some excellent acrylic yarn from a private swap with alwaysinmyroom.  I knitted it double on 6 mm needles -stocking stitch, 28 stitches over 100 rows. This piece was wet and ironed dry to set the curls and then I trimmed off either side and cut down the middle to give separate strands that I could hook into the wig cap.
Stuffing
I made her while on holiday in Almaty.  Although days are filled with sight-seeing, I'd brought Bleuette as something to do in the evenings and was initially stumped as Id forgotten to bring any stuffing with me.  However I found an excellent little craft shop that sold almost everything one could need.

The only stuffing they had was not a type I had ever seen before as it was polyester fibres, but rolled into tight little balls.  However they had several soft toys in the shop that had been filled with it and the crochet fabric of Bleuette is quite thick and strong so I reckoned it would be fine and it was actually much easier to use than normal fibre fill would have been. 
I should add that all these discussions took place with minimal Russian on my part or English on theirs.  I guess crafting is a universal language.  Cheesy

Her clothes are all knitted apart from her bloomers which I made from Beth Webbers pattern.  I adapted it a lot because I only had No. 20 crochet cotton and a 1.5 mm hook. So I increased the number of stitches and also made the legs shorter and did only one row of the love knot lace as I really wanted a pair of short knickers.

Jersey and socks are done in self-patterning yarn left over from a pair of socks. Ill write up patterns for the skirt, jersey and socks as a separate post as this is getting rather long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014 05:14:46 AM »

She's quite wonderful.  I especially like her fabulous hair!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014 07:33:03 AM »

I love that you were crafting in other countries and were able to get supplies using the universal language of creativity!

The clothes are adorable and colorful...and the hair turned out fabulous!  I often wondered how curls were made...I love that you were able to use that color for hair...I adore gingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014 08:27:35 AM »

I love her Smiley Her ringlets are adorable, and her outfit is so fun. It's such a fantastic creation, and now you have the experience of craft shopping in a second language. I feel like there should be a crafter bingo car to fill out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014 09:02:28 AM »

Love the hair and the story. 

Indeed - craft is a true international language, much like music  Wink words are not actually needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014 09:03:02 AM »

lol almost like a Crafting Bucket list! ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014 09:19:14 AM »

Thanks everyone. She was so much fun to make.

Alwaysinmyroom - the yarn was exactly what I wanted for her hair and it turned out really flamboyant just as I'd hoped.

It was amazing how well we understood each other in the shop. They were very helpful and nice and several of the ladies seemed to have some sort of work in progress themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014 11:01:31 AM »

I like her hair too but I especially like her clothes. Her sweater is just perfect, I would like one like that for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014 12:29:12 PM »

lol yoopidou...I thought of you immediately when I saw the knitted clothes...don't they look like those little knit dolls you make?

I think that you and I love tiny knit clothes! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014 08:39:19 PM »

I will put the clothes patterns on Craftster as soon as I have written them up properly. At the moment they are just a species  of shorthand notes that only I can decipher  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Summer Burgers Recipe
Brown Onion Gravy
Grilled Zucchini & Yellow Squash
Peanut Butter Marinated Chicken Tenders
Country Style Meatloaf
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...