A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corn Leaves  (Read 421 times)
Tags for this thread: corn_leaves , knots  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2014 08:52:43 PM »

I stopped in the lane & picked a few leaves from the neighbor's corn. 

After washing them, I used a scissors to cut closely on each side of the center vein.
Then I cut down each half of the leaf to make 4 strands.

I used some glass marbles to make the stem stand up in a cup so I could work on it.

I folded the strands one over the other & tucked the last one under the first.  This made what was called a Chinese Crown Knot when I did macrame'.  There are other names but that is the name I learned. 

I repeated the knot as many times as I could & ended up with a little pod at the base of the leaf with the center vein still intact. 

They're now standing in a vase drying.

This is actually the second time I've tried this.   As I expected, the first group lost a lot of it's color in drying.  I may try bleaching them if I can figure out how it's done.  I'm also waiting to determine if I knotted the first ones more loosely or if it's part the drying process.

Now I come to my dilemma.  I've never seen this done, so I don't know what I have or what to do with them.   I need a few ideas.

I think they look kind of neat in the vase & could be used in a dried arrangement.  I also wonder how they'd look in a wreath.  Other then that, I don't know if I've come up with something great or if I should throw them all away.

Suggestions?  Opinions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014 04:24:59 AM »

Very lovely by themselves. An image google of "corn husk macrame" brought up many images. none exactly like yours, though. It seems there are many projects that can be made from corn leaves and stems.

Closest I found to your answer is here https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525080125AAofXcK
On the how to preserve corn husk doll site.

This one might interest you as well http://chickensintheroad.com/house/crafts/how-to-make-a-corn-husk-wreath/

I am not finding any info of what to spray them with to preserve them. I think they are just supposed to bleach their color/photosynthesis naturally. For a tighter fit, it looks like you would need to dry them first, and then re-wet when you weave.

And they are very tasty in tamales.  Cheesy

But if you wish to preserve, I would suggest a polyurethane spray, either matte finish, or shine. Your choice. Formby's makes a good one in the spray can/spray paint style. But I would not suggest spraying them "wet" or you risk mold and mildew. Just my two cents.

Very nice project. I like them just as is in their pretty vase. But you could group a bunch of them into a wreath. Just ideas.

~T

Queen of Afterthought....HAIRCLIPS! Those would be neat on a ponytail holder, or barrette! If you altered the size to be dainty. Just another thought. Keep thinking outside the box. You will come up with something grand!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014 04:34:00 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014 07:33:28 AM »

WOW, amazing! Very very beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014 08:25:19 AM »

I think they make an unusual and lovely display in the vase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014 05:31:38 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  STILLATTHETOP, I appreciate all the info you found for me.  I've given it a cursory check but haven't yet gone into it in detail.  We've been moving grandlings into their own house, selling up our motor home, & getting ready to go to Florida.  Time is at a premium right now but I'm anxious to delve into it soon.  I'm sure there are numerous ways I can use the pods & just have to find them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint - Arranging the Composition
Basic Still Life Oil Painting
Learn About Arabic Henna Designs
Learn About Indian Henna Designs
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Overglaze and Finishing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...