A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,820
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Super-Deformed Interchangeable Monster Figure Set  (Read 4668 times)
Tags for this thread: castlevania , konami , order_of_ecclesia , monster , creature , figure , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2014 , craft_challenge_101_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 02, 2014 07:27:11 AM »

Here are six interchangeable super-deformed mini action figures, based on monsters from Konami's 2008 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Nintendo DS video game (original Japanese title: 悪魔城ドラキュラ 奪われた刻印, which romanizes as Akumajou Dorakyura Ubawareta Kokuin, and that translates to "Demon Castle Dracula: The Stolen Seal"). They're all made from the same basic "blank" body, which was then customized into each unique creature.

As per the contest's parameters, everything I used to make these figures came from stuff that was already in the house, and all of the materials were months, even years, old (indeed, the ancient carpet I got the fibers for Draculina's hair from is almost as old as I am!)

Below are a bunch of quick concept sketches, from my notebook, that I drew up, prior to, and during, the modeling process. Design-wise, I was shooting for a fairly simplistic body type, similar to a papercraft or collectible vinyl figurine, that could be made, over-and-over again, relatively quickly. I looked at a variety of commercial products (Funko, Minimates, Gregory Horror Show, etc.), as well as the work of other artists, for inspiration.

This is what the six creatures look like, in sprite form, from the game (left-to-right, Axe Knight, Chosen Une, Draculina, Ghoul, Grave Digger, and Ladycat):

Here are some shots of the construction process. Alas, I forgot to take a photo of the unpainted Grave Digger.

And, finally, here's the finished product. I made six toys total because that's a common number for a wave of action figures to have, plus it provides enough part variety to make the mix-and-match feature worthwhile.

Lined white paper, newsprint, cardboard, white glue, acrylic paint, ink, colored pencil, fishing line (Ladycat's whiskers only), and carpet fibers (Draculina's hair only).

While they all started out with the same measurements, the individual figures' widths and heights vary, largely due to projecting structures like the Ghoul's horn and Draculina's bat wings, so, rather than listing them all individually, I'll just give you the numbers for the "base" figure, before any alterations are made: 3.2 cm (1.3") wide x 3.7 cm (1.5") tall.

Each figure has three rotating pin-and-post joints, at the neck and shoulders, and Ladycat's tail also rotates where it joins her body.

Five days total: July 20, 21, 22, 24, and 28 (2014). Things started off with the construction of the Axe Knight on the 20th and 21st, Chosen Une came second, also on the 21st, Ladycat was modeled on the 21st and 22nd, followed by Draculina on the 22nd and 24th, and Grave Digger was also done on the 24th. After that whirlwind of activity, I took a break for a few days before finally returning to complete the project with the sixth, and final, figure, Ghoul, on the 28th.

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014 07:51:32 AM »

I don't know the game (or any video game...), but I like how you made those figures!
I especially like that you gave them interchangeable parts, so you can create even stranger monsters.

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

I had a stroke Oct. 6th. Doing OK..just slow ;D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014 07:57:27 AM »

*applauds wildly* Amazing!  and mostly just paper?  They are just FABO.  Very inspirational...except I don't think I could work that small without crushing them Grin
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014 10:49:38 AM »

i liked the way you put in so much effort to create this
the planning, designing, execution

good job

Inside you there is a artist you dont know about ~Rumi
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014 07:25:01 PM »

Simply brilliant. I'm so impressed at how you create these varied 3D forms from flat paper. You have amazing skills and making the figurines mix and match is just so clever.

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

I had a stroke Oct. 6th. Doing OK..just slow ;D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014 08:06:00 PM »

...I still can't believe it's all paper and glue!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014 12:29:56 AM »

Wow! Amazing!

I am very impressed by your paper figurines, especially when they are not painted yet.

I like the interchangeable parts. I wonder if they tend to fall and if not, how you managed this.

I like how you showed us the whole process including your preliminary sketches.  I also like that you only used paper and glue, nothing fancy or expensive and created wonderful figurines with it.

You rock!
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014 09:52:25 AM »

What fun! I think you could design an entire toy line based on these. It's so fun that they're interchangeable.

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014 03:08:21 AM »

These are so cute!  What an awesome idea!  Cheesy

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014 08:33:46 AM »

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone!

@yoopidou:  Nope, they don't fall over easily.  I made their feet relatively large specifically for that reason, to compensate for their huge noggins.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon 7D Hands-on
How to Transform a Room Into a Camera Obscura
How to Make a Pinhole Camera
How to Light a Fashion Shot
How to Light a Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
The Legacy of Bob Ross
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...