A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 307,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cinderella birds, mice, and pumpkins bread clay casts + a bonus snail figurine  (Read 2848 times)
Tags for this thread: cinderella , disney , mouse , bird , pumpkin , snail , bread_clay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw

Underneath Judge Dredd's helmet is another helmet?

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2014 08:24:50 AM »

I bought a couple of mystery grab bags of girls' toys, from one of the local thrift stores, several days ago, and one of the items that I ended up with was an 8.8 cm (3.5") tall Disney Cinderella figurine that has three molds, on the bottom of her base, for a pumpkin, bird, and female mouse. There weren't any copyright markings on her, but my best guess would be that said item was originally from a Play-Doh set. I suppose you could use it as a (tiny) cookie cutter too, if you were so inclined.

Anyway, I decided to make a bunch of casts from it, so, I mixed up some bread clay [check out my tutorial (http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/bread_clay.html) if you're interested in making a batch of said substance for yourself]. I made five of each item, but I still had some modeling compound left over, even after all that, so, I created a generic snail, by hand, with what remained.

As I usually make my models out of paper and/or cardboard, they seldom break when I drop them on the floor. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with clay, which is generally heavier, and more brittle, than papier mache, as such, when I carelessly dropped the snail, both of its antennae snapped off on me (had I used a wire armature, they probably would have just developed cracks and bent instead of breaking apart). One of the antennae disappeared on the carpet somewhere, and I wasn't going to mix up another batch of bread clay just to make repairs, so, I cut off a couple of segments from a leftover papier mache "snake", from a past project, to replace the snail's damaged projections. Likewise, one of the pumpkin stems broke off and vanished into the depths of the garbage can while I was trimming off flash (the leftover clay "fringe" from the molding process), and I replaced that with a papier mache construct as well.

I let everything air dry, in an open window, for a couple of days before I painted them. Bread clay has a tendency to warp and develop cracks as it cures, particularly with thin items like these castings. That's less than desirable, but I've never figured out a way to prevent it, so, I just had to live with the resulting defects.

Five of each item was probably overkill, but, I wanted to use up all of the bread clay in one go. It dries out and becomes unworkable relatively quickly, especially on a hot day, if you don't periodically moisten it again with water and/or more white glue, or keep it sealed in an airtight container like a plastic bag.

Materials:
Acrylic paint and bread clay [which consists of a slice of crust-less white bread, water (actually saliva in this case, because I'm gross like that), and white glue]. I also used some papier mache (newsprint and white glue) on the snail and one of the pumpkins to replace small pieces that I broke off and lost, prior to painting them.

Dimensions:
Pumpkins: 3.4 cm (1.3") wide x 2.2 cm (0.9") tall.
Birds: 2.3 cm (0.9") wingspan x 2.1 cm (0.8") long.
Mice: 1.6 cm (0.6") wide x 2.3 cm (0.9") tall.
Snail: 3.8 cm (1.5") long x 3.3 (1.3") tall.

Time:
The pumpkins, mice, and birds were all cast on July 24th, 2014, and the snail was modeled on the same day.
All sixteen pieces were then painted/sealed on July 26th and 27th, 2014.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014 08:28:08 AM by Patraw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014 09:23:18 AM »

those are really neat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014 06:52:05 AM »

Materials:
Acrylic paint and bread clay [which consists of a slice of crust-less white bread, water (actually saliva in this case, because I'm gross like that), and white glue]. I also used some papier mache (newsprint and white glue) on the snail and one of the pumpkins to replace small pieces that I broke off and lost, prior to painting them.

Cheesy I had the opportunity to watch Laura Reynolds sculpt once and she used saliva to smooth and shape.  She made some comment along the lines of "If people know how much I really put into these sculptures."  I think it is the ultimate signature, nobody is going to be able to duplicate DNA.

And don't you love those unexpected thrift store finds?

Very nice little charms, and I can see how you might lose little bits while trimming the flash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
Patraw

Underneath Judge Dredd's helmet is another helmet?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014 06:16:56 AM »

I actually had a bottle of water within reaching distance, but I was too lazy to unscrew the cap when spit was quicker, lol.

I frequently buy cheap "blind" bags of toys from the local thrift store, so, I'm always getting neat little surprises like that Cinderella mold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Butternut Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...