A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop


Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mokume gane broochs and foil experiment  (Read 1055 times)
Tags for this thread: mokume_gane  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+
 
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

Offline Offline

Posts: 1486
Joined: 18-Jul-2009


View Profile
« on: July 26, 2014 12:00:19 AM »

i came across this tutorial: http://www.sculpey.com/project/premo-magnificent-mokume-gane-pendant/ a while ago and wanted to try it out. finally got round to it! though i turned them into brooches and made a template from thick card of a heart shape instead  (when cutting the shape out the blade rips up the cardboard edge so its okay for one or two uses but becomes pretty much unusable after that) i baked the heart shapes on a large ceramic round bauble to give them a bit of a curve. it took me a while to work out how curved i could make them while still being able to attach the brooch finding (i also filled in the back with a little scrap clay befor covering it with dark blue to make it a little flatter)



ive seen a lot of gorgeous pieces done with foil and inks so i wanted to have a go.i smoothed a sheet of gold foil over a sheet of black clay then ran it through the pasta machine to crack the foil a little then added acrylic inks (i used a turquoise, dark blue and purple). i covered it with a thin sheet of translucent clay to protect the inks and stop the foil from tarnishing. i should have used varnish because i can never get the translucent as clear as i would like some parts are cloudy and i over sanded at one point taking off the ink and foil Sad and had to patch it with a little guilders paste Embarrassed still love the colours, i might try covering it with a layer of liquid clay next time Undecided





THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CWARTIST
cwart on facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cwart/121699394603368
find my tutorials on craftartedu: http://craftartedu.com/instructors/index/view/id/176/
my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cwart/
Sarcastra
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014 06:18:31 AM »

Very cool experiments! I think they both look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
 
Jump to:  



FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



How-To Videos
How To Write Query Letters
Gerbera Daisies from Afloral & How To Use Them
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Chris Stone Talks About Berkleemusic
How to Make a Silk Flower Swag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2016, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.