A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,585
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wondering where I could find classes on blown glass in missouri?  (Read 1967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kala83
« on: July 25, 2014 05:38:47 PM »

I live in columbia MO and for a while now just have really wanted to learn how to do blown glass work...

but i am un sure where to go or how to go about finding classes on the subject if anyone could lend a hand that would be awesome sauce!

and thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014 04:35:15 AM »

Hi! Smiley

Best ideas would be to check your local paper, if there is a rec center, local artists co-op, community college or a local glass shop.

Hope that helps and you're able to join the glass menagerie. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
beadforever
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014 02:26:14 PM »

I believe the closest place to learn real  glass blowing is in St Louis there is a place that does classes.
Most glass blowing is done with hard glass coe 30, 33 , but it can be done with soft glass such as the glass mainly used for lampworking coe 104 and 90.  I have done small items with 104 glass using my lampwork torch. There is or was a lampwork supply store in Columbia I think they did lessons with soft glass lampwork and also included some blowing ,  not sure if they are still there and or if they still do class either. 
I've never done hard glass as it requires a larger torch and blowing a glory hole; too costly for me and can't take the heat that would come with the craft.
Hope this helps you some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014 02:54:27 AM »

What do you want to make?  Big vase-type things, or small animals and beads?

For the big stuff, you need a lot of equipment (glory hole, big kiln).  My phone book yellow pages have a couple of listings under "Glass Blower" but one's a gallery.  Even a gallery could probably introduce you to a glassblower.

For little stuff, you can work on a torch.  Bead shops can often hook you up with beadmaking classes; if you like it, you can find lots of tutorials online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Chansmom
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014 06:29:46 PM »

Try this place, a friend of mine had a great time at this location when she visited last year. Village Glass Works 315 N. 10th Street Columbia, MO 65201, phone# 573-443-0393. Smiley

Serious glass blowing seems to take place in St Louis and St Charles.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014 06:31:35 PM by Chansmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kala83
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014 09:57:02 PM »

What do you want to make?  Big vase-type things, or small animals and beads?

For the big stuff, you need a lot of equipment (glory hole, big kiln).  My phone book yellow pages have a couple of listings under "Glass Blower" but one's a gallery.  Even a gallery could probably introduce you to a glassblower.

For little stuff, you can work on a torch.  Bead shops can often hook you up with beadmaking classes; if you like it, you can find lots of tutorials online.

well I was thinking smaller stuff like beads and the animal kind of stuff for starters since I thought smaller would be easier to do...
Try this place, a friend of mine had a great time at this location when she visited last year. Village Glass Works 315 N. 10th Street Columbia, MO 65201, phone# 573-443-0393. Smiley

Serious glass blowing seems to take place in St Louis and St Charles.
I will have to look into that...it sounds like one of the newer...art studios that are downtown right now. Yeah I kind of figured st.louis had more people since....

I knew I have seen some people at the ren faire that do blown glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Tea Wallet
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Personalized Pet Collar
Wild Animals on Your Tree

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...