A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wondering where I could find classes on blown glass in missouri?  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kala83
« on: July 25, 2014 05:38:47 PM »

I live in columbia MO and for a while now just have really wanted to learn how to do blown glass work...

but i am un sure where to go or how to go about finding classes on the subject if anyone could lend a hand that would be awesome sauce!

and thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014 04:35:15 AM »

Hi! Smiley

Best ideas would be to check your local paper, if there is a rec center, local artists co-op, community college or a local glass shop.

Hope that helps and you're able to join the glass menagerie. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadforever
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014 02:26:14 PM »

I believe the closest place to learn real  glass blowing is in St Louis there is a place that does classes.
Most glass blowing is done with hard glass coe 30, 33 , but it can be done with soft glass such as the glass mainly used for lampworking coe 104 and 90.  I have done small items with 104 glass using my lampwork torch. There is or was a lampwork supply store in Columbia I think they did lessons with soft glass lampwork and also included some blowing ,  not sure if they are still there and or if they still do class either. 
I've never done hard glass as it requires a larger torch and blowing a glory hole; too costly for me and can't take the heat that would come with the craft.
Hope this helps you some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014 02:54:27 AM »

What do you want to make?  Big vase-type things, or small animals and beads?

For the big stuff, you need a lot of equipment (glory hole, big kiln).  My phone book yellow pages have a couple of listings under "Glass Blower" but one's a gallery.  Even a gallery could probably introduce you to a glassblower.

For little stuff, you can work on a torch.  Bead shops can often hook you up with beadmaking classes; if you like it, you can find lots of tutorials online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chansmom
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014 06:29:46 PM »

Try this place, a friend of mine had a great time at this location when she visited last year. Village Glass Works 315 N. 10th Street Columbia, MO 65201, phone# 573-443-0393. Smiley

Serious glass blowing seems to take place in St Louis and St Charles.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014 06:31:35 PM by Chansmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kala83
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014 09:57:02 PM »

What do you want to make?  Big vase-type things, or small animals and beads?

For the big stuff, you need a lot of equipment (glory hole, big kiln).  My phone book yellow pages have a couple of listings under "Glass Blower" but one's a gallery.  Even a gallery could probably introduce you to a glassblower.

For little stuff, you can work on a torch.  Bead shops can often hook you up with beadmaking classes; if you like it, you can find lots of tutorials online.

well I was thinking smaller stuff like beads and the animal kind of stuff for starters since I thought smaller would be easier to do...
Try this place, a friend of mine had a great time at this location when she visited last year. Village Glass Works 315 N. 10th Street Columbia, MO 65201, phone# 573-443-0393. Smiley

Serious glass blowing seems to take place in St Louis and St Charles.
I will have to look into that...it sounds like one of the newer...art studios that are downtown right now. Yeah I kind of figured st.louis had more people since....

I knew I have seen some people at the ren faire that do blown glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating One-Click Recipes of Your Favorite Photoshop Effects
How to Draw Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh
How to Draw El Matador from Supa Strikas
How to Draw Family Guy Characters
How to Draw Figma Black Gold Saw from Black Rock Shooter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...