A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cushions to match my mums quilt  (Read 269 times)
Tags for this thread: cushion , pillow_cover  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chirel
« on: July 25, 2014 12:20:24 PM »

This project took me almost two years to finish, but I did it!

My mom made me a quilt for my bed-couch and she gave me some of the fabrics to make cushions. I wanted four cushions that would not cover the ornaments on the bed-couch. I went through my fabric stash and found some linen and some green upholstery velvet. I didn't want to buy anything for the project, but ended up buying the ribbons and lace because I didn't have any in a suitable color.

I found an old (and hideously ugly) bedspread and used it as a base for the pillows. I made four bags from it and then spent at least two months cutting up clothes, old bed covers and other fabrics I didn't need any more. Seriously, I watched the intire Prisoner (the 60's series) and half of Babylon five while cutting and I had blisters and my hand was cramping, but finally i had enough scraps to fill the bags. I hand sewed the bags close and started designing the actual pillowcases for the pillows.

The fabrics were leftovers from other projects so I had to adjust the design to fit their shape. This is why theres two colours in back and front instead of two different coloured sides as I had originally planned. I like the result a lot (more than the original idea Smiley ).

I used the quilt fabric scraps (they were leftover strips) and lace to decorate the bases. Each of the cushions is different, variations of the same theme. I hand sewed the ribbons to each of the pillows. The vertical ribbons are only in the front of the pillows, but the diagonal ones continue to the back. This took hours and hours (One hour per seam ) and it was a real pain to sew the ribbons on the velvet. They kept shifting and the result wasn't exactly straight, but it's close enough. I brought the project with me to class and to parties and meetings and everywhere.

Finally I finished sewing the ribbons and could sew the decorated bases into bags with one long side open. I figured it would be easier to get the pillows in the bags this way. The last side I again hand sewed shut. I really like sewing by hand, but there were times when I almost gave up Cheesy But just look at this pile! I'm gald I kept going and finished the project (before it was time to buy a new couch Cheesy)!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014 12:27:04 PM »

Oh they are lovely cushions and they really compliment the quilt & bedframe  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014 05:39:15 PM »

lovely mix of colors!  The ribbon makes the pillows stand out from the cover...nice work...bet you are glad you have them completed! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chirel
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014 07:25:37 AM »

Thanks Smiley I'm really happy that I finally have four cushions! I decided to sew the ribbons and finish one cushion at a time. The first one has been in use for at least a year now! When I finished the fourth I felt empty, without direction, but now my head is full of new craft ideas and I actually have time for other crafts! (But I do love long projects, because then I don't need to plan and practise all the time).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tony DiTerlizzi on His Audiobook, A Hero for WondLa, Read by Teri Hatcher
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Answer Fan Questions
Behind the Scenes of Writing Between You and Me
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Read from Between You and Me
White Horse Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...