A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When Do You Give Up on Perfection?  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maezli
« on: July 18, 2014 05:50:30 PM »

Or, " The Quilt That Never Ends."  Shocked

I've been working on a replica of Jane Austen's quilt for more than four years (handsewing- sporadically). Now I've just finished making the "quilt sandwich," and my border looks pretty crummy. It's uneven and bunching. The border fabric isn't quilting weight, because I had it left over from something else and loved it so much that I decided to use it, never thinking that anything could go wrong.  Roll Eyes I could just make the best of it as it is, or I could go and buy some more fabric, sew a new border on, and do all of the pinning over again. What would you guys do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014 06:18:16 PM »

It depends on how bad it is.  I have a quilt I longarmed last month and didn't notice the tension was screwed up til I was nearly done.  It is REALLY bad on the back.  I'm going to have to sit down and rip all of it out and it makes me so angry every time I think about it...not to mention the extra $ I will have to pay to rent the longarm to redo it.  Angry   But it really looks awful and I know I couldn't live with it.  I have let smaller things go on other quilts though...piecing that doesn't quite match up or bits that pull a little from when I eased them.  The question is, will it bother YOU?  My other "gut check" is if my non sewing friends would notice.  If they would, I definitely fix it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014 06:19:46 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maezli
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014 06:31:29 AM »

That tip about whether non-sewing friends would notice is a good one. I think that the "bunching" is actually wrinkles in the fabric, upon closer inspection, which should come out when I iron.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014 08:09:23 AM »

As donniesgirl mentioned, it comes down to your tolerance.  Without a picture I can't say for sure.  I've ripped out some wavy piecing and left others.  For the most part I don't expect perfection - I'm a person and I make errors.  If some points don't match up I'm good with that, but if most of them don't then I'm doing something wrong and I'll rework it.

Donniesgirl, I'm sorry about the tension issue.  Ripping a little sucks, but ripping everything is horrible.  I'm conflicted when that stuff happens.  On the one hand I'm angry at myself for not checking before I got too far, but on the other I feel sorry for myself for having to do it all over.  Hopefully the second time will be much smoother!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
magicfan
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014 11:12:28 AM »

As soon as I start working..LOL....I know it won't be perfect so I don't stress over it. I do my best and that's that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Products to Use and Avoid When You Have Sunburn
Our Favorite Picks for Cruelty Free Beauty Products
The Spoon Facial: Does It Work or Is It a Joke?
5 Things to Try This July 2014
Birchbox July 2014: Sneak Peek Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...