A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zombie rag doll girls  (Read 1459 times)
Tags for this thread: zombie , rag_doll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Corrie Curry
« on: July 10, 2014 03:04:14 PM »

Some of my favorite projects lately have been my little zombie rag doll girls; I first posted awhile ago (May) about my first attempt at one here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433550.0#axzz376RKY6Uh

I ended up giving the first girl some removable clothes and she looks so much better maybe happier?
here she is in her new outfit

My next girl has an attached bubble skirt and while it was a wee bit faster afterwards I decided to stick with the removable clothes. I also started giving the girls longer hair and no bangs.

This little zombie gal is one of my favorites, I got to use up my huge stash of red wool yarn including some nice Cascade Yarns Magnum. Her skirt is made from a skull print fabric and tulle that was cut off of the bottom of a skirt I made for myself (that was way too long and tight and I could barely walk in it).

For this zombie girl I used more of dark red tones and purple for the hair and her ruffled sheer cowl neck dress was made from a sleeve! Pretty much a cut across the top and one at each side for her arms; it was probably the fastest doll dress I have ever made. Her little sweater vest was made from an old leg warmer originally I wanted to do another dress but the circumference of the leg warmer was a bit too small.

This girl got some more colorful hair with greens, blues, and purples. Her little wrap skirt is just made from a pleated long rectangle of fabric with some satin ribbon top stitched along it with extra length on each side for ties.

I started to realize I was falling into color themes with the girls but I didn't really care it was a lot of fun going through my scrap yarn stash and fabric and mix and matching them together. For this girl I did here in purple and pink tones, the purple and black lace print fabric for her legs is one of the treasured fabrics in my stash. You know the type, the one that you love so much you don't want to accidentally "ruin it" and make something that is bound to turn out all wrong, or once you complete it you find a much better project for it; luckily I have 3 yards and someday *I will* make a dress. Her dress is made from a scrap of black polyester lace from a skirt and I crocheted her a double wrap cowl to match her legs and hair.

This one has another skirt made from the bottom edge of an old project (same project as the red head zombie), I think I can probably get another two skirts out of it for the dolls. I didn't have nearly as much white scrap yarn on hand since last summer I experimented with solar dying and used up all of my white wool; the plied acrylic yarns give the hair a much different look over the ones that were made with single ply wool.

This girl has a very basic pleated black felt skirt; I went really crazy overboard with the hair for both amount of yarn used and color so I wanted her clothing to be a little more minimalist. Her hair is mostly Lanaloft Bulky by Brown Sheep, which was leftover from a ripple stitch rainbow afghan I knitted up last winter; but some of the green is yarn from the dollar bin at the local craft store (who can resist 1 dollar yarn?).  

Currently I'm working on a pink tones zombie girl and another rainbow one (this time for myself) I have extra faces painted and a bin that is still overflowing with remnant yarn. One of my favorite aspects of this series of zombie dolls is trying to make them clothes from my old clothes that are just sitting around waiting to be donated to the thrift store. I've been switching up the technique for attaching their hair; I still haven't found my favorite but one that I go back to a lot is a double crocheted trapezoid type shape that I stitch down to the back of the head and then I stitch down a crocheted chain along the front hairline to give it a nicer edge. Somehow this feels easier than a crocheted circle cap; my crocheting skills are pretty minimal and the trapezoid shape seems to let me control the size a bit better. I'm altering the pattern a bit to give the girls legs and arms a bit more shaping on the ends but overall it has been a very fun project.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014 04:39:11 PM by meleriffic - Reason: To comply with Craftster's rules. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cookie Monster LOVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014 03:47:47 PM »

LOVE the rainbow hair one :-D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014 10:23:59 AM by meleriffic - Reason: To Comply with Craftsters Rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014 05:20:33 PM »

Those are great. Nice work. Brains.

My website.
My etsy shop.
PM me if you want to swap.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014 08:39:20 AM »

These are adorable! I would want the whole set.

Corrie Curry
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014 06:00:09 PM »

Sorry for the post and run guys! Thank you so much for your kind words and compliments Smiley
Making these little gals has been pretty addicting; I'm trying very hard to only use yarn from my scrap bin but I also want a rainbow set of the dolls with each one being primarily only 1 color. Luckily my boyfriend doesn't seem to mind all of the little zombies that are popping up everywhere.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014 06:52:48 PM »

They are beautiful.  I would love a collection of them in my house.

Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014 04:40:15 PM »

These are SO adorable! I love every single one of them!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Coconut Curry with Tempeh Part 2/3
How to Make White Coconut Curry with Tempeh Part 1/3
Rice Cracker Crusted Tuna Appetizer Recipe
How to Make Miso Soup
How to Make a Diet Oriental Salad Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
The Legacy of Bob Ross
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...