A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Which do you prefer:  (Read 834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmazingAlex
« on: July 10, 2014 09:03:50 AM »

When you get a swap partner, would you rather have a partner who wants to micro-manage every part of your project (tells you exact colors, patterns, placement, etc) or a partner who is too open (tells you "just make me something awesome!")?

Do you find one more stressful/annoying than the other?

Note: this is not directed at any of my swap partners because y'all are awesome and everyone else is jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an uber nerd that loves Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, Supernatural, and Marvelverse (to name a few.)
Harry Potter Favorites Swap Is Live
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=434138

I'm interested in personal swaps!
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014 09:22:23 AM »

I'd rather have more guidance than less.  I feel very uneasy and uncertain when I get open swap parameters from a partner, b/c I wonder if what I send them is going to be liked, or if they are going to be sorry that they weren't specific enough.

That said, now that I'm thinking about it, I might be one of those people who give less guidance to a swap partner.  But that is because after being in so many swaps, I've learned to broaden my horizons, b/c I just may be happily surprised at what I receive.  I've also received so many items from swaps that I HAVE to be more open to different things, or I would just receive duplicates!

The main thing, IMHO, is to have good communication between partners because then you can ask questions and get a better feel in general of who the person is and what he/she likes.

How's that for a specific answer?   Grin Roll Eyes

P.S.  The "note" part of your post made me giggle!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014 10:29:17 AM »

I'm more comfortable with a little hint or guidance, but not micro-managing.  I prefer to have a theme or subject rather than just "make something awesome!"   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014 11:58:11 AM »

I'm more comfortable with a little hint or guidance, but not micro-managing.  I prefer to have a theme or subject rather than just "make something awesome!"   Smiley

About the same for me - a few hints, but mostly open to interpretation Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014 03:28:31 PM »

I think it depends on what I'm making... I definitely like a little bit of guidance all the time (because I want to make something they really want) but if there's a knitting pattern they just adore and really want, I'm fine with them saying "THIS... I want THIS".  But I think with knitting/crochet, because you work (usually, though not always) from patterns, the structure isn't as restricting as it would be to say, art.  Like... "I want an altered shrine in a Wintergreen Altoids tin, painted X brand of cobalt blue, with... etc etc etc". 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014 05:52:49 PM »

I don't like to be micro managed.  But, I do like some guidance.  I'm not a, "make whatever" kind of person.  I need some ideas to work with.  But, I do like a partner that lets me have free reign to work in mediums I feel most comfortable with.  It's stressful to try and make something in a medium I'm not familiar with.  Swapping should be fun, not a, "I want to tear my hair out" experience.  But, I do want to make my partner happy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014 06:33:37 AM »

I'm somewhere in the middle. I've had a couple of micro-manage partners (to the point of "here's a link to EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, NO CHANGES PLEASE!!!") and I made what they wanted (and hopefully liked!) but I couldn't help feeling I'd been "hired" to make something on commission. It got worse the one time my partner misread the questionnaire and made my swap item from the "do not" part of the questionnaire. oops Embarrassed   

Sometimes I think people put all that micro-manage kind of info in the questionnaire and 'about me' section of the profile so they don't have to answer the same questions swap after swap after swap...  That makes sense, but then there's not a lot room left for 'let's chat about your likes/not-likes' to start to know each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014 07:44:31 AM »

I definitely like a little guidance, and wouldn't mind someone asking for something similar to something I've already made, just because I'd know I could do it again. "Just make anything" is overwhelming for me; I appreciate at least a list of themes.

I like chatting a partner up to get an idea of what I should make. Usually a few exchanges of PMs serves to spark up a fun idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014 09:24:41 AM »

I also like the chatting!  I don't think I could ever get so blase' about swapping that I would feel annoyed at getting a PM from a fellow Craftster!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014 09:18:51 AM »

No micro-managing.  I would like to think that I don't micro manage.  I like some guidance, like a pinterest or something that shows what they like and things they would want, and usually I will ask some things via PM to streamline the package more to their liking, but I am very obstinate and find that when someone starts telling me what to do, I will not.  As a recipient, I also like when people stalk and ask questions, but ultimately get inspired to make what they want - I like surprises!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sushi for Dessert
2014 Spring Dining Guide: Cappuccino and Beignets at Bayou Bakery
How to Make a Gluten Free Orange Polenta Cake
Gluten Free Blackberry Cobbler Recipe
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Semifreddo Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...