A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery machine pattern designing for selling. Good idea or not?  (Read 234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sarahkayday
« on: July 10, 2014 04:30:50 AM »

Hi

I have never used a forum before so please forgive me if I'm going about this all wrong.

I'm a mother trying to come up with business ideas that I can do while looking after my children. I enjoy crafts and drawing and stumbled across people selling their own designs for embroidery machines and wondered if that was an option.

I understand that the machines are expensive but my hope would be that I would make that money back and that my patterns once designed and set up for selling would keep making money for years to come.

My questions to you are
- have any of you tried this as a income source? Is this a realistic idea?
- what level of embroidery machine would I require to test my designs and that would produce a high quality looking end result for the photos in my product ads.
- what level of software would I require to digitalise my own drawings and make patterns in multiple formats for selling?

At this stage I can't spent more than $4000 total and spending less then that would be great! Is it possible to get a machine and software to meet my needs for that much? Your recommendations would be fantastic! I know that I want a machine that is only an embroidery machine and is easy to use in terms of design upload but beyond that I know nothing.

Thank you!
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014 06:00:22 AM »

Sure, with all the new embroidery machines out there now, selling digital files is pretty much like selling any other sewing or knitting pattern. People are always looking for new patterns they don't have to think up or create themselves.

The issues are all the different formats needed for the plethora of machines out there. Check out this description from an etsy seller https://www.etsy.com/listing/62695436/longhorn-applique-design-digitized?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=digitizing&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery Wow. I wouldn't even know where to start, maybe trying to find the 2-3 most popular brands. You might try going over to the "Sewing in General" forum on Craftster, they have a machine embroidery forum there which might be more helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarahkayday
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014 03:58:22 PM »

Thank you!  I will look in to those links.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Give a Head Massage
How to Make Hair Stronger and Stop Hair Breakage
How to Get a Big Sock Bun Hairdo
Hair How To: Half Up Half Down
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...