A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How much inventory before going "live"?  (Read 1939 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beantown
« on: March 30, 2004 10:18:40 AM »

Before I start designing a webite and everything I was wondering how much inventory I should have.  One or 2 of each piece?  I'm thinking of doing a bunch of different items, such as bags, jewelry, cards, invitations, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
sewing stars
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004 11:17:53 AM »

My web biz is pretty small at this point. So I make them on demand. Although it is handy when I do have a few ready made.

Before a craft sale I try to have between 20-50 creatures, and 30-40 magnet sets. I make my money at the craft sales, usually.

I have been trying to better market my website too, by linking to other people and it seems to have really helped. I have been getting a constant stream of orders as of late.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
Beantown
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004 11:21:22 AM »

How do you find out about craft fairs?  There is a huge one that comes to Boston every winter but I think you have to submit a portfolio etc.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
sewing stars
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004 12:09:41 PM »

Craft sales...well, I live in RI and take part in the RISD Alumni Sales (cause I am RISD alum), and in Craftland at Christmas time. There is the Boston www.bazaarbizarre.org, and a Providence, RI bizarre bazaar see this thread.

Those are the New England ones I know about. I am sure there are more.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004 12:10:37 PM by sewing stars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
totinette
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004 12:56:59 PM »

I generally have a very small amount of ready-to-ship items made, so I make most of my things (handbags especially) once I get an order for them. That way I'm not stuck with 10 bags in a style that wasn't very popular and I can use the fabric for different things.  I think a lot of people pre-make things, though. I just didn't have a lot of time to do that and knew that if I tried, I would never be able to launch my site...and it seems to be working well this way for me. Smiley

Good luck! and let us know when it's up!
Torie
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006 08:46:47 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beantown
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004 01:25:42 PM »

LOVE your website!  Did you do it yourself?  I will be designing my own with my best friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
crushalot
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004 06:02:53 PM »

makes 'em when we needs 'em...  although, when there's 2 seconds of free time, it's nice to get ahead on some of the popular items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

. . . lets get known.

http://www.craftproduct.com
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004 06:10:30 PM »

I'd definitely mention how many you have ready to ship immediately, and then if you run out, say how long it'll take to make.  I always like when shops do that, b/c that way I'm never wondering if they already have some of them made or if I'll be waiting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004 09:17:00 PM »

I would say it depends on the item.
If your item is an afghan, you'd probably want to have a couple ready made.  If your item is something that's going to move fast, you'd probably want half a dozen to a dozen. I'd say think about how much time it takes to make one and how much time you have to craft.  If it's something you know you could make on demand the week you get the order, then it doesn't matter, but if it takes you a month, you don't want potential customers to have to wait six weeks while you crochet a sweater set for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
iheartlibraries
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004 03:47:25 PM »

How do you find out about craft fairs?  There is a huge one that comes to Boston every winter but I think you have to submit a portfolio etc.  

I don't know if you'd be interested or if this is too late, but there is also the Boston Skillshare, they allowing people to table. It's on April 17th and 18th.

Here's the link:
http://www.bostonskillshare.org/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004 05:47:32 AM »

I will soon be opening a site with bags on it and i was wondering the same.  but all of my stuff is a one-time thing. only one of each.  so i have to premake my stuff. i need to have about 10-15 bags when i start out since thats the only thing that im selling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Holly Fulton Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
A Gorgeous Updo for Curly Hair
How to Do This Christmas Day Hairstyle
The Most Genius, Noncommittal Way to Color Your Hair
5 Holiday Hairstyles You Must Try Now
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...