A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100 Glow-in-the-dark Pull Tab Lampshade--VERY LONG POST!  (Read 1471 times)
Tags for this thread: glow_in_the_dark , recycle , resin , lamp_shade , pull_tab , led_bulb  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 07, 2014 02:41:05 PM »

As soon as I heard about this challenge, I knew I was going to play with pull tabs.  For one thing, I knew I had well over 100 of them.  I also wanted to incorporate my new crafting love, resin.  And of course, it needed to glow in the dark some how.  If I was going to bother to make it all glow, I wanted to make sure it was easy to charge up.  That's when I decided to make a lamp shade for our back entry way.  It was just an old school "pineapple" style clear glass dome....

OKies...lets start at the beginning.  I counted out my 100 tabs, and safety pinned them into groups of 5, so I wouldn't loose track of any of them.  Then, I unrolled strips of packing tape and put them into a plastic box, sticky side up.  I wanted to make sure they stayed still, so I used magnets on either side of the box lid to help to keep things from slipping around.  I layed out the tabs on to the tape.  After they were all layed out, I went over them all with a brayer to make sure the tape was well stuck to the back of the tabs.  Then mixed my resin with my glow powder.  I used a pop sickle stick to drizzle little bits of the glow resin into one of the hols of the tab, being careful to not get any into the other hole.  Well...best laid plans and all, some of the tabs were not sealed as well as I hoped, and the resin did creep out.  But it was not a complete disaster, as that was enough to seal the tabs, and I just had to do do another coat of the glow resin the next day.  Then it was just a mater of peeling them off the tape, and clipping off the extra resin bits..

After that, I repined them together, just to make sure I had my count right..

The hardest part of the project was deciding how to attach them to the lamp.  I wanted miniature chicken wire, but could nto find any of that (the lady at the craft store showed me the miniature chickens thay had when I asked her Grin)  I also could not locate a mesh that I could buy in small enough quantity...they all wanted me to buy a complete roll.  My mom found these at a by the pound thrift store..

So, I clipped them in sets of two holes diagonally, so that when I folded the strips, the holes matched up.  I rolled them over with a brayer to get them nice and smooth.

Once that was done, I folded the strips lengthwise, to form an L shape.  The open side went along the glass, and the folded side became where the tabs would go through.  I made one hole at the end of the strip larger, to go around the brass knob at the bottom of the glass.  Then I molded the strips along the glass.  I used an aluminum tape that I had to secure the end to the glass top.  As it turns out, aluminum tape doesn't really want to stick to aluminum, but it stuck to the glass fine, so I just had to add more tape along the edge that fit up to the glass to get it to all stick together.  The whole thing was super fiddly but I eventually got it to stick satisfactorily...

I decided to not use jump rings and just cut the tabs to go through the holes, so it would weight as little as possible.

Then I just had to feed the open end through the holes.  I used pliers to make sure the tab ends were clicked back into alignment. Due to the top of the tab hole haveing a flat surface, they hang off to one side.  Not what I was expecting, but I think it helps the glow to charge better, as the aluminum strip is not obscuring the light source.  OOh yeah...and I bought a 100 watt equivalent LED to put into the outlet, for 20 bucks!

Thankfully, though the bulb is wider then a traditional bulb, the mouth of the shade still fit over it Grin

Then it was just a mater if setting it into place.  As it turns out, it is quit hard to take a good photo of it, either off or on.  It is not obtrusive in the daylight.  When the light is on, it shines and shimmers off the shinny aluminum and helps to diffuse the 100 watt brightness.  ANd it doesn't take long to charge and glows for many hours.  I think it looks a bit like a deep sea jelly fish of some sort when it's all charged up.  Here's a few more pics of my photo attempts..

I'm quite happy with.  I hope you enjoyed my process Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014 02:41:27 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
CraftScar
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014 03:36:05 PM »

Resin?  What is this magical stuff?  Nice project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014 04:25:44 PM »

Awesome! I love that the light glows in the dark when the light is out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014 04:50:19 PM »

Wait! Where are the eyes?!  Cheesy  Amazing fixture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014 05:31:49 PM »

Awesome, I love glow-in-the-dark stuff!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 8/14 quilted items in 2014 - over half way!

I have a blog, yes I do.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014 08:29:08 PM »

Resin?  What is this magical stuff?  Nice project.

Well...I believe that resin is scraped from the sides of giant interdenominational slugs.  Then, to get it to harden it must be mixed with fairy spit....that's part of the reason it's so expensive.  It is terribly difficult to convince the Fae to spit it seems.  I'm relatively sure it's all a huge government conspiracy, so it should never be mentioned out side of crafsters.  As we all know, craft folks are not considered worth worrying about, so this is the only place the recipe can be divulged Grin...and THANKS

Racky--Thanks Grin.  I was a bit worried about how much glow powder (which comes from flowers on the moon..) to mix into the slug slime and fairy spit.  But it seems like I got it just right Grin

pottermouth--The glow IS the eyes.  It's like a vampire squid had a love child with a comb jellyfish....hope that doesn't cause too many nightmares Grin

Amazon_warrior--hehehe LOVE your tag line Grin  Your clearly of the mad scientist strain... and THANKS.  I, personally, think everything should glow in the dark..and..someday it will Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014 07:44:44 AM »

Oh this is just lovely!  Please post a link in the RRR page because this is just up our alley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014 07:53:10 AM »

OMG!!! Surreal, you crack me up. Great project. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
suereal

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014 09:21:15 AM »

Kaz--Done and done!  Thanks for asking.  It had not occurred to me to just post links in the RRR.  I'll try and do that more often, as most things I do have a recycled component Grin

lovesclutter--Hopefully the cracks are not too serious!  I would hate to be the one who shatters you complealty Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizziefrog
Queen of Procrastination

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014 01:59:49 AM »

What a terrific idea. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is a tin full of buttons
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Scrapbooking Brads
How to Use Rub-On Stickers in Scrapbooking
How to Use Downloaded Fonts for Scrapbooking
How to Sell Digital Scrapbooking Products
How to Save Money on Your Scrapbooking
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...