A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best wool roving to use to be dye...  (Read 548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GoldenSunshine
« on: June 15, 2014 04:56:12 PM »

I am a newbie in needle felting, and I want to get into learning how to dye my own wool rovings with kool aid or easter egg dye. Does anyone know a good supplier or a good website that sells maybe 1lb of undyed wool, or suggestions on which one is the best wool to use and still able to use the wool to use in needle felting projects?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looking for fabrics! Willing to do a fabric exchange or some kind of swap.

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014 05:44:14 AM »

Sheep Shed sells by the pound. I was very pleased with the quality of their superwash :-)

World of Wool also has a good variety of natural coloured wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014 05:49:47 AM »

Any naturally light colored natural fiber would work - but you need to be careful HOW you dye the fiber so that you don't wet felt it together. You want to use as little agitation as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
http://www.craftartedu.com
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
Adaquinn
How beaded it is!!

Aren't I cute?!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014 04:12:36 PM »

I feel like Chekov in the first Star Trek relaunch movie.  I can do zat!!!  *Yup, I'm a nerd*

There is a lot on line about dying wool with food coloring.  Works AWESOME!  You can make darn near any color you like!

This is how I do it without wet felting the fiber.  First I use VERY small amounts.  Just enough for the project I'm working on.    I use the microwave to do this.
Get a glass 9X9 casserole pan. 
Tear off about six inches of roving.  Pull it in half length wise so you have two long slender ropes.
Get 1.5 cups of water of tap hot water and pour it into the pan.  Add about a quarter cup of vinegar. ((This isn't precise.  A little more a little less won't hurt))
Now pick up your roving and press it into the water.  Make sure that there are no air bubbles trapped between the fibers.
Leave it alone for about half an hour.
Get 1.5 cups of hot tap water and pour it into a separate cup add a quarter cup of vinegar.
Add a few DROPS of food coloring to the cup.  ((A lot of times, people are dying skeins of yarn and use a large amount of food coloring.  You will not need that much.  Usually 10 drops will give me a nice deep color))
Stir until the color is nicely mixed.
Go back to the pan with the roving.  Lay your hand on top of the roving and slowly pour out the water it's been soaking in.  Try to disturb the roving as  little as possible.  It's okay if you don't get it all out.  Just pour off as much as you can.
Slowly pour the colored water over the roving.  You'll see where the color is hitting the roving, try to pour it over as much of the roving as you can.
Leave it for a few minutes for the color to spread through the roving.
((Now here is where a lot of people do things differently.  I use the microwave, because I'm impatient!))
Put your glass pan into the microwave, put it on for about a minute.
WATCH CAREFULLY!  Boiling turns your roving into felt!  So make sure it doesn't come to a rolling boil.
Once it starts to bubble, turn the microwave off.
Open the door, use a fork to gently press the roving back into the dye.  Let it have moment to cool a little  ((I sing the ABC song once, but I'm a nerd))
Microwave again until it starts to boil.  Then turn it off.
Don't open the door, just leave it for about 10 or 15 minutes. 
When you come back, use your fork to lightly push the roving aside.  Ideally you'll have clear water. 
If you don't give it another round of microwave and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
Once the water is clear leave it until completely cool then Pour the water off.
Take out the roving and rinse it with cool (But not cold) water.
Put down some rags or paper towels and blot the roving dry.
Then leave over night to dry completely.

Sorry if this is too long.

Just a note, blue does not like to dye.  It is very stubborn.  If you can't get the water clear, leave it in the dye water over night.  Usually it'll all absorb by then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldenSunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014 07:40:04 PM »

Adaquinn-

Thank you for having the time to sit down and type this!! I will give this instructions a try. Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looking for fabrics! Willing to do a fabric exchange or some kind of swap.

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sequin Tights
Naughty Makeovers for Nice Girls
The Best Black Friday Deals
How To Properly Dress for a Holiday Party
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...