A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins Papercraft Diorama  (Read 1115 times)
Tags for this thread: diorama , mario , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« on: July 07, 2014 08:31:03 AM »

Papercraft Diorama
(Mario vs. Goomba, Koopa, & 1-Up Thief)

For my seventh Nintendo Gameboy papercraft diorama, I picked the attic stage, from the Macro Zone (where Mario gets shrunken down to around the same size as an insect) in Nintendo's 1992 Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins video game (original Japanese title: スーパーマリオランド 2:六つの金貨, which romanizes as Su-pa- Mario Rando 2: Mutsu no Kinka).

This is a screenshot of the area that I wanted to make (the final version is shifted slightly to the left, to get both of the floating blocks on screen, and I swapped in a different status bar with a more realistic life count). As usual, I desired a bunch of stuff on-screen, to make the diorama more interesting, so, I picked a spot that had blocks, coins, book platforms, wall/window trim, and enemies. I particularly like the little 1-Up Thief--when you find an extra life (represented by a big heart in this game, instead of a green mushroom, because, as it's a black-and-white adventure, there would be no way to differentiate the normal red mushrooms from bonus lives) in this stage, one of the scoundrels magically appears and tries to run off with it--you have to quickly catch the larcenous little fiend before it gets away or you lose said bonus life.

Here's the sheet I put together of ripped and edited game graphics (feel free to save and print it out if you want to try making a similar diorama).

This is what things looked like on the morning of the second day. The background and base aren't glued together at this point, as I hadn't assembled the wall/window trim yet.

While I was working on those components I came to the unpleasant realization that, when I was separating said trim from the background in an art program, I had goofed up and forgotten to recolor the wall light gray and left it white (so, if you do use my sheet, I'd recommend using a fill tool to color in that big white box, in the top left corner, before you print it). Fortunately, I had a relatively easy fix for my mistake: I took my smudge stick (a pencil with a piece of tissue paper rubber banded around the end that's smeared with pencil graphite) and rubbed the white square down with that to darken it up.

I also made the three books at this stage, which are hollow rectangular cubes. I did contemplate making them solid and more realistic, with actual paper pages, but, because two of them need to hang out in the air, in defiance of gravity, I decided it was wiser to leave them as light as possible.

Here are the "floating" blocks and stacked books drying, with dice supporting them from underneath until the white glue sets. Speaking of which, if you've ever doubted the strength of white glue, note that, in the finished version, nothing is holding all that stuff up in the air but said adhesive and the vertically-orientated book!

The 3x3 group of coins was the most annoying thing to fabricate. I mounted them on a transparent plastic lattice and then glued the stem of that structure into a slit in the base to make them "float" (the red part of the illustration is what I cut out of said plastic). If I ever make another Mario diorama, I'm definitely going to want to avoid picking a screen with a lot of floating coins again!

I was going to do something similar, for the Proteus 911 starship, and it's two Options, in my Nemesis diorama, but decided not to, as transparent plastic tends to reflect light, especially a camera's flash, which detracts from the illusion a transparent support structure should provide. In this case, I felt that nine wire, or paper, supports would look even worse, so, I used the plastic instead.

The finished product:

Materials:
Cardboard, game graphics printed out on white paper, white glue, newsprint, lined white notebook paper, permanent marker, pencil graphite (to darken up the white background that I forgot to make gray before I printed it), and transparent plastic (coin support lattice and figure/item stands only).

Dimensions:
8.4 cm (3.3") x 7.5 cm (3.0") [widest point x highest point]

Time:
Three days: July 3-5, 2014.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
newtread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014 09:04:17 AM »

I love this. You do good work. The Ninja turtle gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website.
I make Wall and Car Decals, Buttons, Stickers, Shirts and More.
PM me if you want to swap.
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014 11:36:09 AM »

Another excellent project!  What other games are you planning to diorama-tize?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Patraw
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014 07:22:56 AM »

I have many games in mind, but I haven't narrowed it down to what the next one shall be yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paypahchasa
Get Your Craft On!

Get Your Craft On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014 06:35:38 AM »

how long did it take you to do this diorama?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014 08:23:13 AM »

This particular one took three days, which is pretty typical.  Some take less, or more, time depending on their complexity and how industrious, or lazy, I am.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014 08:54:07 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
pookiemccool

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014 06:45:03 PM »

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014 08:31:01 AM »

I have to show this to my boy when he gets home from school! It would inspire him to see such a cool paper craft project. Right now he's really into the minecraft paper crafting kits & we've printed out some online, but your work is outstanding & he could begin to think 'outside the box' so to speak. Well done! Totally rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Garasu Wonderland

Allons-y (^-^)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014 11:29:23 PM »

It's lovely, all the details... so beautifully made Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love creating glass art, do drop by my handmade glass art & decor shop some time ✿(。◕‿◕。)✿
https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/shop/GarasuWonderland
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Sesame Noodle Recipe
How to Make Curry Shrimp Rice Noodles
How to Make a Bengal Tiger Lentil Curry and Spinach Raita
Chef Gordon Struggles to Make Naan Bread
Bulgogi Tacos Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...