A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can we talk about Dragon feet for a second?  (Read 189 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rabiddragons
« on: July 04, 2014 09:42:46 AM »

I am in the process of hand drawing out my current pattern for a little shoulder dragon that I plan on selling in an online shop/the local harvest festival/wherever but the back feet are giving me a headache. I am using a soft minky/velour fabric so the seams can be seen. I usually am drafting patterns for teddy bears but this dragon idea has been stuck in my head and I really want to make it work!

I have looked around for what others have done for back feet but most end up making a simple foot that looks like a dog foot. I want me some toes on my beastie! I don't want it to be a two piece pattern with a seam going down the middle halves of the foot.

I have a V cut running from the heel to about middle of the foot with the two halves of the leg/ankle being sewn to the V cut right now but I can see trying to sew this tiny little ankle is going to be a pain in the neck. (I really hope this makes sense, I'll attach a picture of the pattern as it sits right now) I haven't added the 1/4 seam allowance yet either.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/rabidsmiles/2014-07-04093019.jpg

This is the prototype wing to show what the seams look like with the fabric and why I don't want one running down the center of the foot. Please excuse the messy decorative running stitches in the middle of the wing, they were made before I got my hands on an open toe foot for my machine.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/rabidsmiles/2014-07-04093130.jpg

If you guys have any ideas of how to make a dragon foot look like a whole dragon foot and not one that's been hacked into parts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014 09:52:21 AM »

I for one, think your dragon foot pattern looks fine.  Maybe sew some chenille stems into the foot, to get the dragon toes look, you're looking for.  If you're still not happy w/the way your dragon feet look, you could always sculpt feet.  Personally, I think that would look pretty epic!  Your dragon wings look pretty good.  Sorry if that wasn't much help.  Just throwing my 2 cents in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabiddragons
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014 10:01:48 AM »

Oh that's the plan with the stems...I cleared the local craft store out of their larger ones for the wings and the smaller ones for the toes and the little fingers that will be on the finished wing. I want the toes to bend to be able to cling to a t-shirt/collar. I bought some of the beading wire but man that stuff gets really over worked fast, where as the stems just keep on trucking, so those are going to be the inner armature.

I thought about sculpting but it would add so much weight and I am trying to keep it down to a minimum as it will be sitting on someone's shoulder. Don't want to be the cause of someone having to go to the chiropractor Smiley

Thanks for the advice, I am always fretting over pattern pieces and this dragon is the smallest thing with the most pieces I have tried to make myself. Seems I am going in the right direction, pattern wise then...I hope.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014 10:13:43 AM »

Since you are putting the chenille stems in the feet, I think you will get the "dragon feet look" you are going for.  If you're sewing around the chenille stems after they're inserted, that will give you the look of individual, skinny toes, like dragon's have.  Like a bird's toes and feet.  I like that you are also putting chenille stems in the wings.  That will give the wings the look of "veins".  Also making them posable, which is pretty wicked.  I don't think wire in a plush is such a great idea.  I like chenille stems, because they are soft, yet posable.  You don't have to worry about getting poked either.  They aren't heavy either.  I have some chenille stems I would be willing trade you, if you're interested.  PM me if you're interested in a trade. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014 10:15:06 AM »

Maybe, possibly put velcro on the bottom of the feet to keep the dragon on the shoulder?  Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
How to Take a Portrait Picture
How to Photograph with a Tilt Shift Lens
How to Photograph with Infrared
How to Shoot an Engagement Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...