A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Music Corner  (Read 438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coocoosnest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2014 06:15:10 PM »

For a Loooong time now I've wanted to have someplace to leave my most played and loved instruments "out" somewhere where I could just grab one up and play it whenever I had a few minutes here and there throughout the day.  The problem was I had no place to leave them out so with most everything tucked away in it's case and stuck in the back of a closet they never got played because it was just too much trouble dragging it out for just a little while and then packing it back up. There are a lot of stands that sit in the floor but I don't have a lot of room for those plus I have two wild dogs running around, plus I'm not so good at steering the vacuum cleaner.  I preferred to have them hanging on the wall out of the way. It would be cheaper to just tie a piece of rawhide around the neck and hang it on a nail.  The problem with that for me is that I live in an old log cabin (built in the 40's) with different sized logs so anything I try to put on a wall will not hang straight down but lopsided because of all the knots and lumps and bumps on the logs.  I finally thought up an idea to try and to my surprise it actually worked out pretty well.  Here is my new music corner.

I moved everything out of the corner and started here.

Then I made a trip to Lowes to pick up copper wire, plastic tubing and wire clips.

I estimated how much wire I would need for each instrument, cut it and ran it inside the clear tubing so it wouldn't scratch the instruments.  Then I started bending them to shape a hanger for each one.  Since each instrument is a different size and shape, each hanger had to be fitted to it.

Then the fun part, fitting each hanger to the uneven logs.  Wire clips were then be hammered into place where they wouldn't contact the instruments.  The only thing that touches  them is the soft tubing so there's nothing to scratch or rub the wood.

But then I realized it didn't feel cozy enough because the ceilings are so high.  So I scrounged around the garage and found a piece of old wooden ladder (three rungs long) that was left over from a project long ago.  I also found some leftover chain (from a different project) and painted them a dark coppery color.  I used the chain to suspend the piece of ladder from the ceiling and dressed it up a little with silk flowers from Joann's and some salvaged Christmas lights.  Added some Witch balls I purchased from a glass shop last year and never found the right place for and my little music corner is complete.

Well almost.......I did have to add the instruments..................and my babies, Brando and Monk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learning to see by the dark of the moon as well as the light of the day.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014 08:10:59 PM »

I love a lot of things about this - the organic look of the copper hangers, the incredible exposed wood wall they are hanging on, the clever reuse of the ladder and of course... your babies in the last shot Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014 02:57:13 AM »

This has a wonderful wood festival feel! So pretty and natural. Oh, Brando and Monk are cute. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014 03:48:42 AM »

Your music corner, dogs and log home are all awesome!  I hope seeing your instruments so handy inspires you to play often.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014 07:07:12 AM »

This is so cool!  Your music corner is gorgeous and so are your babies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's time to enter your favorite breakfast recipes in the Get 'Em Up Breakfast Recipe Challenge!  Post Nov. 23- Nov. 30!  Vote Dec. 1-7!
coocoosnest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014 04:04:05 PM »

Thanks everyone for your very sweet comments.  Brando and Monk say thank you too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learning to see by the dark of the moon as well as the light of the day.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple Skirt
How to Embellish Skirts
How to Sew an Invisible Zip
How to Make a Tutu Dress
The Wildlife Pins of George G. Harris
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...