A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My boyfriend is studying abroad.  (Read 1340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

asile153
« on: July 13, 2005 08:40:48 PM »

My boyfriend is studying in Ireland fall semester and I want to make something for him.  I want it to make him think of me, but it would also be cool if it was something he could really use.  I don't know if anything like that exists.  I could always be uncreative and decorate a picture frame or make a scrapbook or something, but I want to be a little more original than that.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005 01:35:35 PM »

Well, when I was studying abroad, we weren't allowed to bring much with us. Packing was a nightmare! So I'd suggest something he's going to need anyway, just customized by you. Or at least something very small & easy to pack.

A laundry bag custom decorated?
Phone cards? (Yeah, I know, not crafty, but useful. Perhaps with a cool carrying case designed by you?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
elevencupcakes
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005 11:43:20 PM »

When my sister traveled abroad, my mom sent her a box with homemade chocolate chip cookies, brownie mix, and a bunch of other yummies that were unavailable in Greece. My sister loved it and it was a huge hit with all of the other out-of-country students. Word got around that she had cookies and brownies and she ended up meeting a lot of new friends. So... in your situation, I would take a small wooden box (like the ones you can buy for practically nothing at Ikea) and decorate it like a fridge (or a cupboard cabinet, handle and all) and fill it with things he'll love. If you did the fridge, you could glue fridge magnets (the ones with words) with all sorts of sayings for him. You could also add some cheesy tourist magnets and postcards from "home" to the front of your fridge. Maybe have some of his family/friends write postcards and stick those on the fridge, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eslice
Asian Invasion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005 02:13:53 AM »

A scarf... or a beanie... or a quilt, even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like an angel with two broken wings, reach to the sky again.
Like a devil meant for better things, I will find my place on high.

Forget regret or life is yours to miss.
LucyLu
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005 06:37:39 AM »

homemade soaps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftysunday

oh, trusty vans...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005 09:03:36 AM »

homemade soaps...traveling fridge! man, you guys gave me great ideas for my lil sis (who lives in england)...

if i were traveling abroad and wanted some reminders of my s.o. (significant other) back home, things i would like...

a mix cd (to listen to on the plane, and fall asleep to. although...most people are living int he 21st century, unlike myself, and own ipods...drat). but you could decorate the cover all home-like...

a handmade scarf (ireland gets COLD!), hat, or something to wrap around me and make me cozy.

a wallet sized group of photos (of family, beau, dog, you get the idea. you could color copy them and then stich them together as a book) that i could carry with me.

phone card, most definately, although i believe in the UK you can't use US phone cards to call back here, so he'd have to buy one there!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
paint_pants
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005 01:27:52 AM »

props to the quilt idea
i tend to pack light like a man and just returned from college abroad with two small suitcases and a backpack not too long ago. one of my pals made me a small light weight quilt that accompanied me and said backpack to many a youth hostile. plus it reminded me of my pal. learning from the guys i lived with, things like that really helped them remember home (those traveling types have soft hearts ya know  Wink ). that and any lonely planet book guide to the area with numbers of busses etc packed with random photos of home and friends and family helped me get to know my 'new home away from home' a TON better. ooo... and if this boyfriend of yours hikes or anything like that Nalgene bottles are something i found hard to find other than in the states. lucky for me my boyfriend sent one along with me and it was fantastic.... maybe not crafty.... but so worth remembering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i like boring things" -Andy Warhol
asile153
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005 09:49:27 PM »

Thanks you guys.  All those sugggestions are great.  Right after I posted this, I started looking around the site and was so inspired by all the great things you people come up with.  I decided to make a scrapbook after all, but its not going to be any ordinary scrapbook.  It is going to count down the days until we will be seeing each other again.  Each page will have a number on it counting down from 120 to 0.  They will all have different things on them like song lyrics and pictures and important events to remember on that day.  It looks a lot cooler in my head than it sounds here.  Anyway, I would love to make him a quilt, but I am afraid he wouldn't have room to bring it with him.  I definately plan on sending him care packages of things he may be missing from the states.  The fridge idea was so creative.  I never would have thought of something like that.  I might have to knit him a hat.  I don't think he has one and I don't think he would wear a scarf.  I am still open to ideas.  The scrapbook thing isn't enough.  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005 09:52:52 PM »

things that he can pack up and actually use like a shoulder bag with a stencil on it (like a picture of you two... simple i promise) or a shirt with the same thing.. artisticly done it won't look lame and "oh look at my girlfriend.."-ish
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robyn Lisa
Avid Reader

Jewrific

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005 11:20:20 AM »

I could always be uncreative and decorate a picture frame or make a scrapbook or something, but I want to be a little more original than that.  Any suggestions?

ouch! don't bag on scrapbooks!  Angry.

i second the idea of a quilt, it's definitely useful, and its more personal then something that he'll carry around with him everyday in public. kind of like a secret reminder of you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Manage Non-Profit Client Expectations
How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Green Lantern
10 Hottest Vampires and Werewolves of 2011
Thor Premiere
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...