A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Sewing Machine Help  (Read 167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lsharp91
« on: June 27, 2014 09:12:04 PM »

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you can help me out. I have a Pfaff Tiptronic 1069 sewing machine.
Its old, possibly twenty years.
I noticed right away that the tension dial that controls upper tension is not working. The manual says I can go from a tension of 0 to 9, but I can't get past 3. Everything has been well dusted, but I'm afraid the machine has been very well used.
No matter how much wiggling, I can't get the dial to go past three.

I believe I am missing a part from the dial because the dial itself has no impact on the tension what so ever. Sadly, I cannot tell if I am right or not as I have no similar machine to compare it to. I am ready to open up the machine and take a look around, but I can already tell when I move the upper tension dial it does nothing, so I don't think there will be need to go further.

So I am hoping to call on some sewing experts and together we can fix this problem. I like to quilt and would love to continue.
Please share you ideas and thoughts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choo_choo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014 08:02:31 AM »

because the adjuster is basically internal, unless you feel comfortable opening the machine up and finding the cause, I would suggest a local repair ship.
I looked at an online manual and it was no help.
But your problem is internal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014 10:48:00 PM »

Unfortunately your machine ISN'T all that old.  Machines from the early 1980s and before were all metal, and last forever.
Since then, there are a lot of plastic and nylon parts that break down after a mere decade or two.

I'm not familiar with your model, but can you unscrew the tension controller knob?  Do it very carefully, there should be a spring inside that will bounce out and hide if released. 

Once open, check for lint, thread, other stuff that shouldn't be there, and carefully put it back together.  If that doesn't fix it, you might try googling your problem.  Try using just a minimum of info, like "fix tension adjust" to get generic answers, then add more info if you get too many answers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Winged Hearts
How to Draw Graffiti Names
How to Draw Chibi Characters
How to Draw Manga Step by Step
How to Do the Graffiti Letter I
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...