A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Suggestions on how to duplicate this only smaller  (Read 490 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shimmerwyck
« on: June 26, 2014 05:43:04 PM »

I want to put something like this flower/tree thingie in the corner of my retail store.  The trunk won't be a problem but the leaves/petals...no idea.   I can't weld so it has to be made some other way, be lightweight and cheap.  Too new to post a pic so here is a link to a pic.

http://fabricarchitecturemag.com/repository/4/5019/large_1109_f2_6.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014 07:54:52 PM »

looks like it's knit fabric over a framework.

It's the framework that's going to be a challenge. 
I would try to find the heaviest, stiffest wire I could bend--maybe even double or triple strands.
To get the nice round edges, check hardware store for pipe insulation; it is usually slit all along its length.
put the wire in, seal it up with the sticky stuff, then make a leaf shape.
See the cross-bracing on each leaf?  It could be something rigid, like a dowel or PVC pipe.  Put it at the widest part of each leaf, plus anywhere else that seems to need it.
Cover with fabric; easiest would probably be cover only the lower side, bring the fabric snugly around the frame, and stitch in place.  Glue will likely bleed through and look ugly, but you could test it out on scrap.  Trim off any excess fabric as you go.
Figure how to stabilize the floor end; maybe a heavy cardboard tube, or a tall wastebasket.  I'll call this "the can"  Fasten it to the floor, or at least to a heavy chunk of plywood.
Shape the centermost leaf approximately how you want it.

GET AT LEAST ONE OR TWO PEOPLE TO HELP YOU FROM HERE ON OUT

Put the leaf end into the can. 
Have one or two people hold the leaf up how you want it to be, and another person uses a ladder to suspend the leaf from the ceiling with fishing line in several places.

Repeat for each leaf, then attach the surrounding pieces (they look like sepals to me, but I think that's what you called the trunk).  They look like they're built pretty much like the leaves, but with a center rib to give them dimension.

Disclaimer:
I've never done anything like this, I'm just trying to figure out what I'd try first.  I would buy enough materials to make one leaf and see how it worked out before investing in the rest.

Incidentally, you might want to check with the fire department; we got in trouble one time for having banners hanging below the sprinklers, so there may be some law or regulation in your area.  Take a picture with you, that should entertain them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
shimmerwyck
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014 09:37:54 PM »

Wow, you really went above and beyond!  And thanks so much for the fire tip, I of course, didn't think about that at all.

Tammy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014 01:24:31 AM »

I had fun trying to figure it out--the challenge is at least half the fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014 12:48:29 PM »

OOOOOH!  PVC pipe would be great for the frame.  3/4" if the leaves are smaller, 1" or bigger for longer leaves.
You wouldn't need wire or pipe insulation...

I can't help it, my brain keeps going all the time. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shimmerwyck
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014 08:49:29 AM »

But how would I bend them?  I bought this drain tubing that's pretty small and 12 gauge wire.  I'm going to experiment with it.  I'll Post pics as soon as I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shimmerwyck
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014 09:39:03 AM »

That was a bust...too flimsy.  I read online how to bend pvc pipe so I'm trying that next...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014 12:15:56 PM »

Thin PVC is pretty flexible; support the tip and middle, and it will curve in between.  You just kinda accept what it does, don't try to decide what it's going to look like ahead of time.

I wanna see what you wind up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Style Upgrade for a Work Holiday Party
Homemade Cure for Dry Skin
The Best And Worst Of Beauty In 2013
The Ultimate Guide to Dressing for a Work Party
Top 10 Beauty & Fashion Trends For Your Year-End Parties
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...