A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
816 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how should I quilt this, using only a regular short arm sewing machine  (Read 712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 26, 2014 04:15:09 PM »

So I finally dug out some of those lovely special fabrics, the ones that I have been saving for something special

*I had a revelation that I don't want to be someone who dies with a roomfull of craft stuff for my daughter to have to get rid of...plus the cool fabric that I love today, after a few years, well I don't love it so much*

so I got out the nicest ones...inspired by a quilt I saw on pinterest, I made this top. It is midnight here and I can't find my camera, so this is a cellphone pic and the colours are a lot more vibrant in real life..

the question is, I have just a regular short arm sewing machine, I am using a 4oz polyester batting, as I want softness, lightness and drapeabilty (I usually use recycled 100% woollen blankets as wadding, lovely, but stiffer). I always tend I quilt in straight lines as it is easier. I think I might do the same...don't really want to risk free motion on this top. But what 'pattern' should I use, plus as you can probably see, the top is not completely flat- I still haven't managed to cut exactly on the grain and sew without stretching!

1-follow the 9 main blocks
2-outline each block
3-something else??

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014 04:17:02 PM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014 09:02:23 PM »

Spray starch and an iron will probably get the wonky out. Tug, tug, tug, and iron. That should lay it flat. Even if it was cut cross grain. An iron on stabalizer could help here, too. They make a very thin kind. That would not add much to the bulk of the piece. But get it flatter for you.

My thoughts would be the 9 idea you have which will block everything in place {a quilted basting}, then maybe something more detailed inside your larger squares. Once you have blocked it all in place, maybe free motion will work fine for the extra details there.

Short arms are fine. Roll the extra part and use masking tape to secure it for the area that you are not working on.
Or if you own quilting pins, you can use those. I prefer the tape.

Hope this helps. It looks pretty...even without all the color {crappy phones!} details that I am sure makes it "pop".

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014 06:10:50 AM »

If it was me I'd outline each block. I love this layout, think I might have to add it to my list of "quilts to do after I have finished the super king size quilt"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2014 - 67/50 Done!

Personal swaps welcome Cheesy
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014 12:34:55 PM »

I'm with Bushbaby and would outline each block but then I don't know much about quilting any other way  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014 08:48:52 AM »

thanks for the advice guys. I bought a new can of spray starch, so that will defintely be useful. I like the idea of outlining each block and then some small bits of free motion. I do like the heavily quilted look

If it was me I'd outline each block. I love this layout, think I might have to add it to my list of "quilts to do after I have finished the super king size quilt"  Grin

I actually saw a quilt like this on pinterest and couldnt find a free pattern so I worked the dimensions out for a double bed. The top is about 59x75 (from memory) this is without binding, so if you want details of the dimensions I used and the key for planning of the layout of colours, then pm me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014 09:26:54 PM »

I would outline each block in the print.  The big blocks look like they are large enough to need something extra, so I think I'd crosshatch those.

It's a cute quilt!  I know exactly what you mean about never using the fabrics.  If not now, when?  I'm trying really hard to use up the stash, but sometimes something bad happens and more fabric comes home with me.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014 01:00:34 PM »

I would outline each block in the print.  The big blocks look like they are large enough to need something extra, so I think I'd crosshatch those.

Oh I like this idea, do you mean just the diagonals or more than that in the large blocks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014 08:19:04 AM »

You're right - crosshatching is equally spaced lines on the diagonal to create squares that are on point.  Depending on how big your area is and how densely you want it quilted you can space them anywhere from 1/4" to 2" apart.  Back in the day before long acrylic rulers were available we just used a yard stick, and the spacing was whatever the width of the stick was.

If the lines are perpendicular to each other you'll end up with squares, but if you change the angle you'll get diamonds.  Here's a link for easy machine quilting http://dreamweavers-quilts.com/2009/10/easy-crosshatch-quilting/

I'm sorry there's such a delay in getting back to you!  I didn't realize this was here, so I'm not sure if this is much help to you now.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
aspenwall
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014 04:53:19 AM »

I think I'd out line all the blocks but maybe do an extra square inside the bigger squares, maybe 2 or so inches in from the 1st.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm not totally sure how well that would work on a machine quilted quilt. Through I imagine it would be no different than any other pattern.
Here's one of mine where I did that in the large blocks with hand quilting (sorry it's a little hard to see):
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014 05:04:57 AM by aspenwall » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shaheen Wirk on What Performing Artists Teach About Preparation
Matt Ruby on Taking Comedy Skills Beyond Just Being Funny
Blending Artistic and Financial Goals in a Creative Career
Shepard Fairey Talks Obey Collab and Getting Arrested 16 Times
Angus Stone "Monsters"
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...