(Scorpion vs. Black Viper Snipers & Grunts)
For my fourth video game papercraft diorama, I selected the first stage of Konami's 1991 Operation C Nintendo Gameboy run-and-gun video game (original Japanese title: "Kontora", which is the phonetic katakana spelling of the English "Contra", and the moniker was changed yet again, to Probotector, when the game was later released in Europe).
The protagonist, Corporal "Scorpion" Lance (Sergeant Bill "Mad Dog" Ko, is AWOL, as Operation C is only a one-player game), is on the lower left, while the other four characters are enemy Black Viper troopers; a pair of snipers taking potshots at our hero from up high, and two unarmed grunts rushing him from the right.
Cardboard, game graphics printed out on white paper, white lined notebook paper, white glue, newsprint, two cotton balls, and permanent marker.
8.5 cm (3.3") x 7.7 cm (3.0") [widest point x highest point]
Six days: June 17 - 22, 2014.
Some construction process photos:
For my fifth video game papercraft diorama, I selected a battle scene from ASCII's 1992 Wizardry Side Story II: Curse of the Ancient Emperor [original Japanese title: ウィザードリィ・外伝II:古代皇帝の呪い (Uiza-dorii Gaiden II: Kodai Koutei no Noroi)]. Said game was recently fan-translated into English--while I didn't do any work whatsoever on the actual hacking/reprogramming side of things (I don't know the first thing about that kind of stuff), I was credited with a consulting role, as the team utilized the monster and item translations that I had done, some time ago, for my colorized bestiary/guide for said title.
Cardboard, game graphics printed out on white paper, white glue, newsprint, and permanent marker.
8.5 cm (3.3") x 7.6 cm (3.0") [widest point x highest point]
Part of the day on June 22, 2014.
Here's the reference screenshot I worked from. Note that it's from the original, official Japanese version, the katakana characters, at the top left, マイルッフィク, spell out Maelific's name in Japanese phonetics, which romanizes as "Mairufikku". My party member's names are in English, because the game gives you the choice of using hiragana, katakana, or the English alphabet when you name them. I also edited out the plus sign, after BishopG's name, which indicates that he's equipped with an item that provides hit point regeneration, to give the party's names/stats a more consistent look. If you're curious, the "G" in BishopG's name stands for "Good", as in Good alignment. The Bishop character class must be of either Good or Evil alignment, not Neutral--the gods don't like fence-sitters--and I often create a Bishop of each alignment, for use in respectively-aligned parties, hence the "G" or "E" to tell them apart at a glance.
The decision to make this simple diorama was actually a result of my failure to make the steel latticed columns in my Operation C diorama the way that I wanted to. Because I ended up wasting all the graphics I had initially printed for said columns, trying out different designs, I needed to produce some more in order to finish that project.
As it would have been a waste to just print out nothing but the column graphics (two copies, in case I messed up again), I also put the components for this simple Wizardry Side Story II: Curse of the Ancient Emperor Maelific battle diorama on there, the fifteen characters, two pets, and three item drops from Samurai Shodown (熱闘 サムライスピリッツ or Nettou Samurai Supiritsu, which romanizes as Fierce Fighting: Samurai Spirits), and, finally, the twelve fighters from Fatal Fury 2 (熱闘 餓狼 伝説2 あらたなる たたかい or Nettou Garou Densetsu 2, Aratanaru Tatakai, which romanizes as "Fierce Fighting: Legend of the Hungry Wolf 2, The New Battle", which was never released outside of Japan). It took some creative arranging, but I squeezed all of that stuff onto one piece of paper!
As this was a relatively quick/easy project (start-to-finish, it only took part of the day), I didn't take any progress/construction photos this time. I separated the Maelific sprite into several layers/components, glued those back together, with spacers in between them, to give him some depth, and turned the party member names and hit points list into a box-within-a box to make it more visually interesting in 3-dimensional space.
Group shot of the five papercraft dioramas I've made so far:
Oh yeah, I also got some official recognition/love for these from Konami UK:http://www.konami.co.uk/2014/06/24/mark-patraws-konami-dioramas/