A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Can I Make Art Lockets Like These? Techniques? See Pics  (Read 651 times)
Tags for this thread: art_lockets  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fledgling
« on: June 21, 2014 02:16:42 PM »

I love gorgeous lockets like the ones above. I purchased one myself, but haven't yet managed to reverse engineer how it was made.

My question is, how how how can I make them? What technique is being used to get the gorgeous pictures onto the lockets? Is it some kind of image transfer? Where would I find them, and how could I use them?

I know this would be a great way to make super cool personalized gifts for friends. Can somebody tell me how these are made, and with what materials?

Many thanks from a jewelry lover,

Fledgling
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014 07:20:40 AM »

You could try the image transfer forum.  But one way to do it would be to print the images onto image transfer paper and apply it onto the surface in some way - such as a resin adhesive perhaps.  It may be harder to do it on a curved surface.  I would be tempted to see if I could find lockets that have a bezel or lip to do that with.  If that is the case, then you could print laser prints onto transparencies and embed them in resin, or make packing tape transfers or something like that.

Otherwise, if they are all metal, you could get low temp glass/ceramic/metal paints, like those put out by Pebeo, and pain them yourself directly onto the surface.  I have heard that some of the Sharpie oil paint pens can work the same way as well, but I have worked with the Pebeo line and know that it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014 11:15:33 AM »

I'm thinking decals.  You can buy decal paper, print from your computer, then water-transfer the image; the gold (or whatever) color of the locket would show through.  You'd probably need to put a tough finish on the top so they don't get scratched.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Turtleneck Sweater
How to Wear Sparkle for the Holidays
A Day to Night Look with J Brand Jeans
‘Tis The Season to Entertain in Style
Gillian Sagansky Talks About the Perfect Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...