A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Convert!  (Read 133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambrosio
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 20, 2014 02:55:42 AM »

Hello!

I'm Johann of Erie, PA, and I was forcibly conscripted lovingly encouraged by a few friends - you know who you are - to join here and indulge my crafty streak.

This all started when I innocently asked my friend what she was doing with an intricate pattern...and somehow wound up with a spare set of her knitting needles in my hands with yarn tangling my feet. I also acquired an impressive collection of embroidery thread from another friend under similar circumstances. One of these days I'll learn to stop asking questions of evangelical crafters! ...when I lose all desire to live. I've had a crafty streak all my life, but for the longest time lost touch with it due to a string of unpleasant events that now have me both rebuilding my life and in a position to reconnect with the pleasant things of my past.

Most of my experience is with the fine arts, but anything works as a canvas! I started with acrylic painting and was entirely too pleased to see how versatile that medium is on...everything ever! Fine art started blurring into artsy craft when I realized I could apply manuscript illustration to things like mirrors and embroidery. Even painting while I was growing up, I loved to incorporate words, scripts, and bits of prose into my art. I had no idea that had a proper Name until embarrassingly recently.

I adore anything involving beads, ribbons, knotwork, repurposing old bottles, working sculpture and other small-scale art into jewelry, and can do some simple sewing. I desperately want to get better at sewing so I can make my own clothes! And better at embroidery so I can decorate those clothes with intricate creeping vines or anything else striking my fancy!

On the general life side, I'm an adult student finally able to indulge my lifelong love of math in a way that might actually help people. I'm Italian, stereotypically so in the kitchen: I love to cook, period, and it's impossible to get out of my house without getting fed. I'm a geek of many domains, chief among them puzzles, science fiction, and linguistics.

And, yes, I'm a guy, and crafty, and utterly unashamed. The two lovely women sharing this house with me tell me more men than are willing to admit it have this latent tendency. I think that's what the common obsession with power tools is all about...

Recently, I accidentally my dream house: an early 1920s habitable-but-fixer-upper complete with a proper attic and many of the original features intact or repairable. There's even a nice overgrown yard begging to be transformed into a garden, another activity lost to my past. Deeefinitely many practical craft opportunities in my future. I share the house with the aforementioned evil crafter friends. We have five cats. They like to "help" with crafting, too.

I get frustrated watching myself stumble over things I used to be able to do without a second thought, especially on the art side, but pressing on is incredibly fulfilling. I understand why my friends call crafting their therapy. Paradoxically soothing form of frustration resulting in pretty! I think they've corrupted me already since the other day when we were on a tight budget collecting some supplies I put back the *bandaids* so we could get a deluxe exacto knife set.

Hmm, enthusiastic puppy much? I'm happy I found this place, and I look forward to finding even more friends to reinforce my growing obsession.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I play cat's cradle with it.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014 01:47:23 PM »

Hi Johann, welcome to Craftster!  Can't wait to see some of your projects.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014 07:13:18 AM »

Hey Johann!  Welcome to Cster!  There are definitely more guys than are willing to admit it into crafty things.  Cheesy  And I LOVE your term 'evangelical crafter'.  Bwahaha.  That is so perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize the Workspace in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Optimize the Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Composite the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...