A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spinning kit?  (Read 204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

time
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2014 03:52:29 PM »

HI Everyone!

About ten years ago I started to get into spinning but  had to quit because i was a poor college student. Boo! Now I have both money and free time and I want to get back and try spinning again. What do I need to buy as a beginning spinner to get going? I'm looking at a bunch of websites and no one really addresses that. I've still got my drop spindles and some wool and flax fiber that I think will be okay to learn on (it's ten years old). But do I really need to buy carding supplies too? Do I need a niddy noddy? Should I bite the bullet and pony up for a wheel? In case it's relevant I'm learning to knit and I already do embroidery so that's the kind of threads I'd like to spin.

Most importantly where do I look to find a meatspace spinning group? Any suggestions for finding groups in my area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014 06:47:31 AM »

If you search for groups on Ravelry using your location as a key word, you should be able to find a "meatspace" guild or club Cheesy For example, while I'm in northern Ontario, I managed to find a guild that operates out of Ottawa so that some day I can go for classes and stuff. Ravelry also has groups dedicated to beginner spinners and spindle spinners which are chock full of incredible resources and a community of fibre fanatics who'll see you onto the right track Cheesy

I'm exclusively a spindle spinner and have been for almost a year and a half now! I use both drops and supports, and let me just confess right away that I've spent enough money on spindles to buy a wheel Tongue The thing is, I never have $300-$800 at a time that isn't already allocated to rent/food/etc, so it's easier to just buy a couple spindles here and there and build up my "herd." That's not even counting the $$$ I've spent on two sets of handcards, a blending board, a turbo knitting set, and more fluff than you can shake a stick at.

Starter stuff: spindle, fluff, YouTube. The wool might be tender after so long, depending on how it was stored, and I'm clueless about the flax. If the wool breaks easily when you give two ends of a staple length a good tug, it's not going to be easy to use. Also, carpet beetles and moths may have munched it, so look it over thoroughly for mysterious debris, insect parts and chewed areas. Since you don't have any prep equipment yet, stick to top, roving and batts. A lot of people recommend corriedale and BFL as beginner wools, but honestly, I just bought a bunch of random crap and had at it. Literally, I bought Sheep Shed Studio's 3lb Funky Bag o' Crap Tongue Then I bought Olde Whittemore handcards on eBay and a kilo of Botany Lap Waste from World of Wool. Thus began the long and dizzying fall down the rabbit hole of fibre fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
How to Model with Subserfs in Blender
How to Use Rampshaders in Blender
How to Use Dupliverts in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...