A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Living Off The Land  (Read 1680 times)
Tags for this thread: garden , farm , sheep  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chocolatebutton
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014 11:02:17 AM »

I really admire what you are doing, it looks like a hell of a lot of work but seems worth it. I imagine everything is bursting with flavour.. unfortunately I live in the city, most of my veggies come from a supermarket, so I don't get anything near the produce that you do.
I've just enrolled on a wildlife & conservation course, I'll get taught all sorts.. everything regarding british wildlife/flowers, how to put fences up... apparently we get shown how to turn a sheep upside down and check their feet! I'm very much looking forward to the course and find this post very inspiring!
Maybe one day I will be able to live off the land, like you.... I would just be concerned about getting too attached to the animals!
Doing a great job, keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014 11:54:25 AM »

Have fun!  Putting a sheep on it's hiney is tricky.  I wish I had a class in that before we got started!  If you want to impress your instructor, ask about the FAMACHA test for internal parasites.  It involves checking the color of their eyelid membranes and is easiest done while they're sitting down. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014 10:00:24 AM »

I love checking out your blog MissingWillow and it makes me miss my goats.  Our hectic lifestyle just doesn't make time for dairy goat upkeep any more, but we still have our ponies and chickens. 

We're in the process of building on a 30 acre plot.  It's going to be a lot of work to get gardens established (with all the deer TALL fences will be necessary) and the property fenced.  However, it's GREAT work when it's all your own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014 02:55:44 AM »

I've just enrolled on a wildlife & conservation course, I'll get taught all sorts.. everything regarding british wildlife/flowers, how to put fences up... apparently we get shown how to turn a sheep upside down and check their feet! I'm very much looking forward to the course and find this post very inspiring!

Oooh Chocolatebutton your course sounds very exciting!  Is it full or part-time?  I'm curious as I wonder if there is anything like this near me (I'm in the UK too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014 03:54:39 AM »

UnRuli, I hope you'll post your garden progress here once you've got them started.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

chocolatebutton
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014 02:04:02 PM »

Have fun!  Putting a sheep on it's hiney is tricky.  I wish I had a class in that before we got started!  If you want to impress your instructor, ask about the FAMACHA test for internal parasites.  It involves checking the color of their eyelid membranes and is easiest done while they're sitting down. 

It's funny because when they said they would teach us how to put a sheep on it's back, I thought it couldn't actually be that hard... but I suppose they are alive and they don't particularly want to be turned upside down. It should be interesting  Cheesy

I will definitely have a read up on FAMACHA, then casually bring it up in class as if it's nothing.. haha.. Thanks

Oooh Chocolatebutton your course sounds very exciting!  Is it full or part-time?  I'm curious as I wonder if there is anything like this near me (I'm in the UK too).

Hey Trekky, the course is full time but aimed at adults so it is only 3.5 days on campus. The college is in Winchester, I am actually moving from London to do the course as there is no where in London that has the course or facilities. I will PM you a link  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014 12:55:21 PM »

That is so awesome.  I grew up on a farm, but it was all veggie and we only had chickens once - my mother got tired of dealing with their upkeep as well as with us and the rest of the farm life and I think she gave them to the neighbours.  Your pictures and stories about it make me miss it - but boy, that is so much work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014 03:10:23 PM »

A lovely story about my favourite farm, it really is a magical place!  I wish I had half the Missing Willow team's energy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion opening in mid September!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014 03:25:07 PM »

We're exhausted!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014 04:21:43 AM »

I will post photos of the gardens when they're finally, in, but we'll have our hands full until then.  We still have the interiors of the barn and shop, all the fencing and a bunch of major projects that are necessary to complete before we can begin.  Still, I can hardly wait!!

Until then, here's the old garden..
My husband's version.  He thought it was sufficient, but it was ugly and there was no gate to get in.  He is tall enough to step over the fence.I was not:

He was gone for a weekend and I did this (with no help.in the rain).  This is what it looked like when I first finished.  The flower gardens have filled out and matured so it looks much nicer now.  We were also having a dry spell then..we certainly are not this year (this year it's more like we're living in the tropics!).  The fence posts still need to be trimmed yet:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014 04:22:35 AM by UnRuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
3 Reasons Why Pencil Skirts Are the New Mini
Need to Know: Oversized Sweaters, Google Flight Finder, and Fab Slippers
Cara Delevingne and Taylor Swift Rock Runway Show
Isabel Marant Collection Hits H&M
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...