A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paint Stir Stick + Skewers = Thread Holder Tutorial(with Pictures!)  (Read 293 times)
Tags for this thread: thread_holder , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thundercrow
« on: June 15, 2014 01:50:24 PM »

I made these (3 total from 1 stir stick) to go in my sewing box that I have made out of an unused tackle box to solve my tangled mess issues (visible in the first image lol).

What you need:
Wooden or Bamboo skewers
1 paint stir stick (mine was left over from sherwin-williams but any should do)
Thread spool(s) (the widest/tallest ones you intend to use on the stand)
Marking tool (pencil, or sharpie)
Saw
Drill and drill bit
Wood glue
sand paper
paint or stain(optional)

First begin by measuring the inside of your box, at the smallest point in the direction you want your stick to lay. Mine measured 6 3/8" (actually because my box narrows at the bottom very slightly, it was little less than this)

Then take that measurement and mark off sections on your stir stick, one stick for me was 3 of this measurement.
Then trace your spool of thread between those marks, keeping the marks as close together as possible for a tight fit. Mark the center hole so you know where to place your skewers. I could fit 4 thread spools, and a bobbin area at the end.

Next, place the flat side of your skewer on the table next to your stir stick.

Slide your thread spool over it so that it rests on your stick, then mark above it so you know how tall to cut your skewers.

Once one area has been marked, you can take that mark and hold it up to the other skewers so that you have markings of the same distance. Like this:

Use your saw to cut your lengths of paint stick and your skewer lengths.
Test fit your lengths of paint sticks to ensure they fit as you want, I had to trim/sand a little further in because the base of my box narrows toward the bottom.
Measure your fattest skewer against your drill bit to ensure you have the right size, slightly larger is okay the glue will take care of the rest. (Ideally they're all the same but I've never found this to actually be true.)

Drill your hole, only go about half way through the stick so the back remains intact. It will be quickly done, for me it was only about a 1 second count.

Sand your holes, and your stick edges to remove any roughness that might splinter then do another test fit to ensure you do not need to sand further.

When this is complete, fill the holes with wood glue and place your skewers in them. Clean up any excess as best you can, any remaining should dry clear.

Once the glue is dry you're ready for painting or staining if you want to.

Here is a picture of it completed before painting.

Helpful tip: 1/2" vinyl tubing, cut in 1/4'' intervals then split open can be slid over bobbins to keep thread in place like this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014 11:03:11 PM »

Great tutorial thank you. It addresses a serious need in my life. Bamboo skewers are a good idea because they don't seem to splinter like ordinary wood does.
I'm also really grateful for your idea for keeping bobbin threads in place. Many thanks for that one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014 01:47:02 AM »

What a great tute and a fantastic idea. I'll have to keep an eye open for paint sticks...I use a tool box for taking crafts with me....Great idea and thank you for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rita Hazan: How to Cover Gray Hair at Home
Testing the "Air Curler"
How to Do a 60s Bouffant
Rihanna Goes Ice Grey
Your High-Volume Secret Weapon for Fine Hair Is Here
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...