A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My iSpy quilt/hexie pattern questions  (Read 1659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stillatthetop
« on: June 15, 2014 01:17:18 AM »

I am building an iSpy quilt for my future grandbaby {not yet in the oven, but I am ahead of the game}  Grin
I have done some private fabric trades, and am getting my stash together. Things are moving along nicely.
I need help knowing the best, easiest, and most importantly...how to do them so the points come out nice.
You know...all lined up and square-ish...not wonky. I know there is an easy way to piece the top, but I don't have cable, and can't watch all those good quilting shows.

If anyone can share links for things that address the hexie pattern, it would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know how to do them, and could just share that? And the sashing will be an issue, too. I have a hint of what I am wanting in my signature line, so you can see what I wish for..sort of. Mine will look similar, but different. Got the photo in  Grin

And I am open for fabric trades for this. I have a huge selection of fabrics {cottons} for quilting. If you have any iSpy type fabrics, I would be happy to trade out. Just PM me, and we can work out details.

For those not knowing iSpy...each quilt hexie has a different image that children can study and find. As in, "I Spy a banana, I spy a rooster, I spy a lollypop, I spy a green monster." That sort of thing. It is a lay on the floor board game for young ones, basically. Good for about 2 years old to 5. You can start a bit younger, you just have to help them learn how to pick things out. And start with the easier images that they know the names of.  Grin And do a lot of repeating, where they remember and gain confidence to keep trying.

It is fun with kids. I look forward to this project. I just need to learn how to get my quilt started. Any helpers  Roll Eyes

~T

This one is not mine...I snagged it off the internet. But, yeah! I got a photo to go in! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014 05:23:49 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Eamea
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014 01:39:21 PM »

Disclaimer- I'm not speaking from experience.  I'm just making an educated guess!

I would approach this by thinking of rows rather than stars.  Looking at the bottom row, you can make units using the hexie, the upper right triangle, and the lower left triangle.  Once the triangles are attached to opposite sides you'll have a diamond shape.  When all the diamonds are made you only have to sew straight seams to put them together into rows.  The lower left triangle becomes the lower right triangle of the hexie to the left, so there's no need to add the triangles around each hexie and mess with Y seams.  For this to work, though, you need to be consistent with the triangles you add - always use upper right and lower left or upper left and lower right.

I hope this makes sense!  I can see it in my mind's eye, but I'm not sure I'm getting a good description here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014 01:48:33 AM »

I haven't done hexagons like that, but I have now done several things with equilateral triangles (the building blocks of hexagons!), and I definitely agree with Eamea that thinking in strips is the way to go.  Much easier than faffing about with Y seams or anything like that.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 17/14 quilted items in 2014 - over half way!

I have a blog, yes I do.  Also, Pinterest.
emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014 11:39:41 PM »

i've done this hexagon style quilt before, and Eamea is correct.
the ones i did, the rows ended up sewing together in diagonals instead of straight across.
(hexagon quilt)
i also bought this template that had two or three hexagon shape sizes in it, as well as triangles to help with sizing and fussy cutting of the blocks
hope that helps you out!  i love this idea for an ispy quilt instead of squares.  too fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014 02:02:42 AM »

Thank you gal pals. I am a little late to post. Been busy on other events, but still wishing for iSpy fabrics.
I am currently in the TM patch swaps, and could certainly trade out some fabrics for kits that you could use on those. I have a big stash of lots of things. So whatever you might be wishing...I can hunt it up.

It does sound that the diamond triangle method will be easiest. Almost like strip piecing, only with the other shape. And kind of on the diagonal.

I am very accurate with my cutting, and usually always can make neat "points"...given the better fabrics that are truly on a bias, and woven square.

Threads make a big difference, too. I learned that at the fabric store where I worked. I had never used the expensive ones before that. And wow! Sew Ease is a wonderful product, too. For lubricating the needle. And I love Fray Check for my applique works. And to dab on the knotted ends to keep them from coming apart.

Anyways, I appreciate you all for your time and knowledge. I will put it to good use when I start my iSpy quilt.

Thanks!
~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
GinghamPolkadots
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014 09:49:44 AM »

I agree with some in here that I would approach this in rows and I love the one you posted with the different background colors!  I would cut out all the hexies first and the add in the triangles, then sew the rows together, then back and quilt and then bind as per usual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014 02:14:57 PM »

I'm also collecting fabric for iSpy quilts. I was planning to make one like this, but I love hexagons and you may have convinced me to make one like your inspiration instead! Do you know what size hexagons you'll be using?

I can go through my fabrics and see what I have to trade. Are you looking for "boy" or "girl" fabrics? What size do you need?

I know I have some fabric with clouds (with sparkles), stars, space/planets/shooting stars, monsters, pandas, cherries, and strawberries. I know I have more, but I can't think of what I have off the top of my head. Let me know what you're looking for, and I'll see what I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014 06:21:10 PM »

Well, my collection is quite small at the moment. I am waiting to see what I receive to decide on a size for them.
I am thinking maybe 4" to 5" wide at the points of the hexies. I still have not done all the math or geometry involved in this project, so I am still open. That is why I requested the 6" x 6", so I can orient things better.

I have some really neat outdoor deer print fabric, with mountains/pine trees that would be a good scale to share...I also have Care Bears...Puppy dogs, a number of other juvenile style prints with doggies, and chewie bones, most all are somewhat gender neutral. Of course I have the standard flowers, and polka dots, stripes, etc. And lots of different camouflage prints.

All of mine I wish to be cottons, or cotton poly blends. It is a quilt  Grin Mine will be gender neutral. but girlie stuff would be fine. Oh, and I think I still have some from son's PJ bottom left overs with tools on them. Handy Mandy style. Cartoonie. I also collect things that are "western/cowboy" style. And have plenty of those types of designs I could send. Ropes, cowboy boots, bandanna...that sort of thing.

I also recently purchased a thrift store shirt with machine embroidered butterflies. I plan to use a piece from that for mine. The fabric is in good shape, and should fit in well. Lime green background...the butterflies are about 3" wide with room around them. Embroidered in a variety of colors. I think I will plan for it to be my "signature" piece.

I would love to 'piece' together a trade with you. I just hope your quilt does not end up looking like mine.  Cheesy Just kidding. I am sure we would make things different. LMK. Feel free to PM for more details.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014 11:25:46 AM »

Oops. I didn't notice that you said 6"x6" in your signature. That does sounds like a good size.

Two of my sisters are visiting this weekend, and I'm hoping they'll help me clean up and organize my crafting stuff. I'll try to go through my fabric and pull things that might work. I'll try to take some pictures too.

I have a boy and a girl, so prints for either work for me. I'd prefer 100% cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014 08:29:43 AM »

Heh, heh. My new little one still has not reached daughter's oven...so we will see the gender when that happens. I just want to get a-breast of things.  Grin These fabrics seem to be a bit slow to collect. I am not rushing to be a first time Grandma...just want to be prepared for that day. But I don't have a problem with a boy picking out a pink hair bow. And learning that girls were here first! Well, actually not. But OK, let them think we were for a while. MOMMAS RULE!  Cheesy Or for the girl, learning what a crescent wrench is.

I will pull out some things that I think you will like. I will be cleaning up my craft/sewing area this weekend, too. As quick as I get my next swap complete and packaged. Lucky you with sisters to help.

The quilt image that I snagged seems to be smaller than the 6" x 6". I just thought that would give me a better "window" on things to move around the pattern. And extra scraps to throw into my other designs, too. You should see my textile bins  Roll Eyes Keep in touch. And any other members who wish to join in...feel free to post here. It is open season for most of these. I am sure many of us have scraps to destash.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating Multiple Versions Of Your Photo in Camera Raw
How to Draw Jumpy Ghost Face
How to Draw Kinji Tohyama
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
The Perfect Combo: Word Clouds and Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...