A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 6 Panel Long Skirt with Pockets Tutorial. LOTS OF PICS  (Read 1305 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , skirt , muslin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thundercrow
« on: June 13, 2014 08:35:18 AM »

This is my first tutorial so please bare with me >.<
When I searching for easy skirt patterns I came across this link http://www.mollytov.com/six-gore-skirt/
I am a huge fan of long skirts, no matter the weather, they're just fun for me. So I decided to try it!
I used Natural Muslin Dyers Cloth (44" wide) for my fabric (for many reasons, it was on sale for $1.99 and its a good cloth to use for just practicing a new pattern), sew in interfacing (waistband only), matching thread, 1 hidden zipper and 2 pants hook & eyes to make this skirt.

She describes the making of the pattern pieces in the blog link (for more detailed instructions), you basically take your measurements for: Waist, Hip, From waist to hip, then from hip to floor. Divide your waist measurement and hip measurement by 6 (six panels) Then you want to draft your pattern like this (I took these next two images from the blog post):

Pattern Pockets like this (I chose not to do step 1 here, I just folded under the orginal piece before pinning it to the fabric, you'll see further down):

To make it flowy I chose to add 4 1/2" to either side of the center for my own pieces. This is how mine look after they were drafted (I use brown packaging paper it was $4.99 at office depot, its a roll 24" x 50'):

Pin your pattern pieces to folded fabric like this to get the most use out of a small amount of fabric.

Pin your pocket pieces centered on the fold:

Do this twice leaving you with two of each pocket piece and 4 longer skirt panels.

For your last two panel pieces you will need to fold your pattern piece under at the hip-line before pinning (rather than fabricating a whole new piece this is what I did)

Cut across your last piece straight and this will be the beginnings of your waist band.

~Fold over salvage edge along folded edge, pin fabric together like this, then measure your waist band width plus 1/2" seam allowance and your length plus 1/2" seam allowance and 1-2" extra for a hook tab.
(Note: If you are oddly shaped/curvy like I am, I would recomend trying the waistband on at this point, taking into account the extra that is supposed to be there, to determine whether you need to add a dart or cut it at an angle if you are doing a wide/high waistband like I did)
Cut it out then cut one of these out of interfacing (I use sew in interfacing personally but you can do whatever you like)
Now sew 1/2" seam at both ends of your waist band with the right side of fabric on the inside, sew from the fold down, leaving 1/2" area at the bottom at the long area open.

Snip off the fabric close to the seams and clip the corners at an angle for easy flipping.
Press open the long pocket area of your waistband.

Flip it right side out, with pressed seams inside the waist band and interfacing then press the whole thing like this

Next pin your two pocket lining pieces (the short ones) centered on the shorter two panel pieces right sides together then sew across.

After that is completed, press seam allowance toward the main skirt piece so it is out of the way for you to pin the other pocket pieces to the pocket lining. Like so

And when it is completed press it flat so that it now measures the correct length of your regular pieces.

Now before sewing everything together you need to decide where you want your invisible zipper (if you've never done one here is a helpful link http://www.mygrowinghome.com/2011/08/diy-gathered-skirt-with-waistband.html ). because the back of the skirt is 3 panels I chose to do my invisible zipper along the side seam even though that is where the pocket was. I chose the left side, because that is what I am used to. So, pin and sew three of the regular panels together with 1/2" seam allowance (right sides of fabric together of course) for the back of your skirt (leaving 1 panel for center front), on either side of these three panels will be one of the pocketed skirt pieces, sew one straight, and sew the zipper in the other side. Finish and trim all the raw edges with a zig zag stitch. When sewing the pocket side seams I did it this way to pin the pocket into place:

Once all of your pieces are sewn together, press your seams toward either of sides pressing the side seams toward the back of the skirt.

Next pin your waistband into place, and sew it on with 1/2" seam allowance starting at the back side of your invisible zipper and ending at the front area so that it overlaps going toward the back of the skirt. Then add on your hook & eye

Now press and pin your bottom hemline, however you prefer it. I chose to do an invisible hem.

When its completed it should look something like this ^.^

Its very light and comfy, I may dye it, or just leave it like it is, since its muslin I think it would make an excellent skirt to go over my bathing suit or something like that. If you make it, I'd love to see pictures. I hope the tutorial was easy enough. I'm sorry I didn't have pictures for some of the stages, my phone died -.-

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014 09:03:14 AM by Thundercrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014 10:07:10 AM »

Very nice thank you. I love the way the pockets fit with the gores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thundercrow
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014 12:07:41 PM »

Very nice thank you. I love the way the pockets fit with the gores.

Thank you Cheesy I love the pockets too, it was one of the biggest eye catchers for me. I'm not very big on purses, so the big pockets are wonderful, everything fits. ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014 05:51:33 PM »

That's terrific, thank you. I like long skirts and pockets a whole lotta lot so this will get made for sure Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Thundercrow
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014 06:23:14 PM »

That's terrific, thank you. I like long skirts and pockets a whole lotta lot so this will get made for sure Smiley.

Awesome. Be sure to post a pic Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liliv-1
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014 02:50:19 PM »

I love white maxi skirts and these pockets are very practical and cute Smiley Thanks for the tutorial, I pinned it and sure I will use it soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecharlimonster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014 01:26:45 AM »

This is fantastic! I had JUST (in the last two minutes) decided to make myself a similar skirt, and was designing the pattern in my head as I browsed craftster and came across this! It looks like a great skirt, and super easy, so thank you for sharing, because I'll be using this instead of designing my own now Smiley and I LOVE how yours turned out, it looks lovely on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolence101
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014 09:40:27 AM »

cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RED
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital SLR Photography Tips
iPhone Photography Tips
Understanding White Balance
Pet Photography Tips
Digital Photography Editing Software
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...