A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wanna be a brick wall - button down shirt  (Read 424 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 12, 2014 08:20:28 PM »

A while ago, Spud 3 said he wanted to be a brick wall for Halloween. It was the night before the party. I didn't have anything that even vaguely looked like bricks.  I put it on hold.  He found a fedora and a trench coat.  Not sure what he was but he was happy.

Spud 3 is know as the Kid in the Hawaiian shirts.  Has worn them almost exclusively since he was about 3.  Fortunately he has relatives who travel and always has a supply of authentic ones.  

What does that have to do with a brick wall?  Well, nothing much except for the fact that Hawaiian shirts are pretty easy to construct.  And, once I finally found some brick fabric... well, it was a done deal.  Sort of.  

Bricks are like plaid.  They look better if they match.  Kid didn't say he wanted to be a quake devastated wall.  

So the fabric languished.  Until my mom showed up.  She is a seamstress.  An amazingly talented woman.  She knows matching!  She placed the pattern pieces and cut them out so that the bricks lined up PERFECTLY!  Even the bricks on the sleeves line up.  It is a magical talent as far as I'm concerned.  

It took a bit more time for me to get up the nerve to attempt to put together the perfectly cut fabric.  I made it most of the way and then stalled out when I boofed the collar.  

A short while ago, I told the spud I was finally going to quilt his quilt.  He said "finish my shirt first".  So... ta da!  A brick wall Hawaiian shirt!  AND it fits.  AND get a load of how those bricks line up.  Thanks MOM!

Have to say this was easier than the ren faire costume for Spud 1 or the still to be figured out dragon sweatshirt for Spud 2.  They don't make it easy on me!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014 11:45:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014 01:42:59 AM »

Well done on finishing it.  Your Mum did a great job of fussy cutting the fabric to make it all line up. He better not grow out of it before Halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014 06:30:02 AM »

Gotta love our Mommas. Mine tought me to stitch by hand at age 4 or 5. Yours did wonderful with the pattern line up. And great job for you sewing it together. I hate plaid! Especially with cheap fabric that is printed off grain.

And I never learned how sewing thread makes all the difference in the world until I worked in a fabric store. I used to use the cheap crap, and blamed myself. NOPE. It was just the cheap thread. Get the good stuff.

Like a mechanic who only owns a crescent wrench?  Grin The proper tools makes all the difference, and takes the frustration out of things.

You did a great job. I hope mr. spud boy enjoys his costume!

~T

song for today's inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5EmnQp3V48
Commodores...Brick House.
sorry...but music is art. They probably hate me on here for this...but your post inspired this.
Guess who is dancing, now?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014 06:40:17 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014 06:53:42 AM »

Great back story!!

The shirt looks PERFECT (I am so about the lining up of patterns...)...thank goodness you had expert help from your Mom!!  I bet the next one will be easier for you...  Wink

Now, I am going to need that fabric as my hubby is a huge fan of Pink Floyd...I am going to have to make him something with that fabric!...please tell me it is still available somewhere!

Another Brick in the Wall would be my choice in Music! Grin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014 06:54:33 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014 07:56:25 AM »

Awesome story, awesome shirt. Gotta love the odd kiddo-inspired crafts! I'm sure he loves it.

Haha, while I'm partial to Dark Side of the Moon, I love a good Pink Floyd reference, always. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014 09:00:03 AM »

The fabric is an older piece from one of the major quilt fabric companies.  Unfortunately, I don't have the selvage to tell you what it is.  There are a number of companies producing landscape fabrics that usually have bricks.  There is a new yellow brick fabric I just saw that is part of a Wizard of Oz collection.  And Spoonflower has lots of variations on brick fabric. 

Thanks all.  He loves it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Boy Using the Word "Boy"
How to Draw Manga
How to Draw a Nude Woman
How to Brian Griffin
How to Draw Chowder
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...