A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 316,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm being overrun by these bottles!  (Read 2315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crayonfiend
« on: June 11, 2014 08:24:41 PM »

Looking for help from the wonderfully creative minds at craftster.

My husband and I both take several prescription meds daily so we always have lots of empty prescription bottles around the house. I keep thinking there has to be something I can do with them other than put them in the recycling bin. I thought about making some kind of bead organizer for my daughter, but then I remembered the lids are childproof. Anybody have other ideas about what I could do with them? We have both regular size pill bottles and some larger ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014 08:30:22 AM »

Are they the white, sort of squarish kind, or the orangeish, tubular kind?  If tubular, you could try cutting them into tiny plastic hoops.  What can you do with a bunch of tiny plastic hoops?  Tiny dream catchers, tiny embroideries, here's a tutorial for making a miniature wheelbarrow using a pill vial hoop for the wheel:  http://joannswansondiyminiatures.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014 09:43:01 PM »

first off, ask your pharmacy if they can give you non-childproof caps.  I hate those things!
Next, is your daughter unable to use the childproof caps, or does she just hate them like me?

Now that I've got that off my chest, how about making a tool carousel?  Remove the caps, then glue the bottles in concentric rings to a lazy susan to hold hand tools, brushes, pens and pencils, markers, crayons, whatever.  Use taller bottles in the middle, or glue layers of foam like a wedding cake to the lazy susan so the middle bottles stand up higher than the outer ones to display contents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
jrmatts
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014 08:32:55 AM »

The lazy suzan idea is a good one. I wouldn't have thought of that! You could even put fabric around the bottles to make them less medicine like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For customizable foam or project ideas: http://univfoam.com/ or http://www.buyfoamblocks.com/
Happy crafting,
Jessica
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014 11:10:06 AM »

ooh, and another pharma tip: ask your doctor if you can get your Rx for a longer period.  Three or more months can often fit in the same bottle as a single month.  Reduce, reuse, recyle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
knotfree
n_n<3

Oh I'm Just Loving Living <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014 02:59:46 PM »

These are such great ideas^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello to All the Lovely People!
margaron
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014 12:10:03 PM »

My family too has many prescriptions. I don't craft with them, however I duct tape them all up and use them as geocaches! They're the perfect size for hiding out and about, and the variety of sizes can change the difficulty of your cache.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sungurl3b
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014 12:31:03 PM »

You can paint them and use them as purse organizers for small items, such as bobby pins.  I also used them before when I made a magnetic makeup board for my niece.  I painted and added a few magnets on the back and then added some make-up brushes.

I also saw a neat idea for painting them.  They painted the lid and the bottle two different colors, then used their silhouette machine to cut out a stencil/template to paint on a design or just use vinyl and stick on the design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylvan
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015 06:14:29 AM »

I seem to remember a craft where people were melting them in the oven for some reason... I remember thinking it was a cool craft at the time, but I can't recall what the end goal was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015 12:30:11 PM »

Do you really need an "end goal" to melt stuff?
 Kiss

I seem to remember a craft where people were melting them in the oven for some reason... I remember thinking it was a cool craft at the time, but I can't recall what the end goal was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...