A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Star Trek crafting assistance needed!  (Read 224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsmereba
« on: June 11, 2014 01:36:54 PM »

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a Trekkie...my husband and friends are. There is a summit their 'ship' is organizing/planning and they've asked for my crafting assistance in making MANY things. The one thing I'm stuck on is Latinum. Gold Ferengi money. (I had to look that up  Huh)

Initially I thought of making it out of plywood or something and spray painting it but they want TONS OF IT so it needs to be relatively easy to make and cost effective. Smallest piece to largest piece they want 400, 400, 300, 20 pieces. Pray tell...what are your ideas?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it. ~William Shakespeare~
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014 01:49:01 PM »

What about polymer clay or paper clay- paper clay would be more cost effective.  Which ever you choose I would make one of each different coin from polymer clay then make a mold of each that way you can make them quickly-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014 03:38:21 PM »

My husband and I are professional prop-makers.  I could offer more useful advice if you can give an idea of your budget and time frame, and if the items will be handled or just sitting in a pile.  This is a vast number of objects, so you'll need multiple molds for each design.  I recommend a silicon molding material and resin plastic to cast them.  But we're talking multi-hundreds of $.    Cry

Happy to give as much advice as I can.  This is going to be a challenging project for the home craftsperson!   Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged

itsmereba
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014 08:13:08 PM »

We have about a year to make these things and they will be handled over course of the entire weekend. Our budget is quite slight...building on the first suggestion of polymer clay and your suggestion of making a mold I thought of using the clay for the mold and plaster for the pieces, then painting them all gold. In threory that sounds like a good plan. Haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it. ~William Shakespeare~
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014 08:22:35 AM »

If you want to cast plaster, you have to use a flexible mold.  Since you have more time than money, you could make latex molds, which are much cheaper than silicon molds but take longer to make.  Plaster is cheap but not super durable, but is probably the best choice for this many objects on a low budget.  Smiley

So I would follow teag's suggestion to sculpt the pieces in polymer clay. After baking them, make molds with casting latex. 

Here's a tutorial on making latex molds:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Latex-Mold

You can make multiple molds  to speed up the plaster casting process.  I would mold all four as a set initially (what's called a "gang mold"), and then cast out a number of each size (say 5 of each) and then make molds of the individual sizes so you can run up 5 of each size at once.

You'll want to buy a 50 pound bag of plaster at a building materials supplier, rather than a bunch of expensive little bags at the craft store.  This will save you a lot of money right at the start.

Let me know if you need more info, sources of materials, etc.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014 10:26:05 PM »

my first thought was making them as cookies.  Not practical, plaster is better.  But I love the idea of eating the money when you're done with it.

Cookies.  maybe I've been low-carb too long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jrmatts
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014 08:59:30 AM »

Why dont you just make them out of styrofoam? Its cost effective and you can buy it in bulk. Plus they will be super light in weight so you can transport them easily   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For customizable foam or project ideas: http://univfoam.com/ or http://www.buyfoamblocks.com/
Happy crafting,
Jessica
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boxee Co-Founder Idan Cohen on What He Learned from Photography
Shaun White Photo Behind the Scenes
Eight Young Artists Pose for a Photo By Ryan McNamara
Sacred Angkor
Ancient Marks
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...