A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Incentive / wish / spirit dolls  (Read 398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 11, 2014 02:54:46 AM »

I recently was part of a swap that was so in keeping with me, I just had to join. It was the Spirit doll swap, as I explained to the organiser - spirit dolls, or as I call them Incentive dolls or wish dolls are something that I make often with clients (im a psychotherapist). The making of a doll can be a deeply moving experience as you are making a human form and will, inevitably project qualities of yourself on to it.
I really enjoyed making the spirit dolls I've shown here, - when I make one, I sit with the person for whom I am making it in mind. And as I work, the doll seems to take on its own personality.
Im not going to name who I made them for, as the wishes or incentives that they wanted are personal to them.

This first pair, were for someone who wanted to hold both life and death - beginnings and endings, in equal balance.
I finished the "life" piece quite easily, but as I began to form the "death" piece, it literally fell apart on me - PROCESS me thinks !!, yet instead of giving up - I "let go" of my intended form and allowed it to become. What it taught me, is that death itself has so much to do with "letting go". The space it created in falling apart a little enabled me to hang earth found objects that had "let go".

The next wish doll was for someone who's health has been something shes had to fight for, she wished for strength, and for healing and had an affiliation with turtles and the sea.
As I set about forming this doll, I also had the feeling that this doll would need to "let go" a little and so she too had an hollow bottom. This enabled me to hang from it wrapped sea glass.
For me this doll has so many hidden meanings - its colour - turquoise, represents hope. The back of the doll carries a reiki sign for strength using stitching and a spiral metal charm and also I think looks like a turtle shell. The sea glass, tumbling beneath her reminds me of how those pieces of glass have to shatter and break, then survive the tumbling of the sea before they re-remerge as the most beautiful pieces of treasure. Much like life me thinks !

Ok last set ( I promise - way too many photos but I had to share)
And these are not felted, but made using eco and upcycled fibres, as my receiver is a vegan. She has a daughter and they live very in keeping with my own family, respecting the seasons and festivals. I wanted to make her some spirit dolls that would nestle upon her alter, and so I made her a mother earth and sister moon set of dolls. These are made from old towels, old silk scarves, a little bit of fimo and finally wrapped with nettle yarn and adorned with a metal tag.

Thanks for looking - must've taken you ages to read all that Smiley
Comments always received lovingly Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014 05:33:16 AM »

P_E_S_T, these are amazingly beautiful.  Thanks so much for sharing them with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014 05:56:06 AM »

They are not only visually beautiful, but also emotionally and spiritually meaningful.

I am glad that you open yourself up to what the universe offers and translate that energy into these wonderful dolls.

I enjoyed reading your process and not just seeing the finished project.  Thanks for sharing.

I hope to be in the next round of that swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014 06:57:34 AM »

Your dolls are so beautiful.  I love all the details - the embroidery, the colours, all the little embellishments that make these personal - and I particularly love the affection and empathy that went into them.  Thank you for all the lovely photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014 07:04:01 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous, P_E_S_T!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014 07:42:58 AM »

Not too many photos at all. It's all about the photos on this site. Never apologize for too many photos!

That said, you are an amazing person for being able to make these for your clients and give them away. So much effort and feeling goes into them. It is obvious you care for your people very dearly. These are such amazing projects. Thank you for sharing them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
P_E_S_T

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014 09:53:28 AM »

Not too many photos at all. It's all about the photos on this site. Never apologize for too many photos!

That said, you are an amazing person for being able to make these for your clients and give them away. So much effort and feeling goes into them. It is obvious you care for your people very dearly. These are such amazing projects. Thank you for sharing them.
Ah lovely one xxx these were for swaps xx when I use these in therapy - the clients make their own x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014 10:09:24 AM »

P_E_S_T I always love you posts,these dolls and the intentions along with them are beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014 11:57:44 AM »

Oh Jolene, you are so respectful in all you do! So I'll jump in and share with you all that the first set of dolls (yes a SET!!) was for me!
I am okay with sharing that and am not too shy or what to say that they made me cry! Good tears, but they really, really 'hit a button'!

They are both very pretty, but Death is sooooo amazingly done! The hollow doll, the dangling pieces, the colours, it is a great treasure and I hung it in my livingroom (both of course!)

Thanks so much Jolene! The others are amazing and so beautiful too!
You are amazing!  Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014 12:03:59 PM »

Ah lovely one xxx these were for swaps xx when I use these in therapy - the clients make their own x

Even better then! It's obvious you care for your swap partners dearly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bunny Cake Recipe for Easter
How to Bake Brownies with a Bite
Crunchy and Sweet Honey-Hazelnut Treats Recipe
Fresh and Festive Key Lime Sugar Cookies Recipe
Dazzling Lemon Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...