A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!  (Read 2134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brownsugar13
« on: July 13, 2005 04:25:04 PM »

I've taken up scrapbooking only recently, but I'm working on one for family vacations, birthdays, and dance.  I went to Michaels and took a class with my mom...i know it sounds stupid, but i had no idea what to do!  We bought all this stuff there and checked out this place called Memories and Beyond.  They had A LOT of awesome things, but they were so expensive!  Does ne one know ne stores that aren't expensive for scrapbooking or have ideas on ways to keep my budget??  HELP!    Huh Roll Eyes Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambivalentgirl
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005 10:52:35 AM »

I'm glad you are starting to get involved in scrapbooking, it is so much fun!  I recommend starting out with more simple products at first, just because with everything out there it can be really overwhelming.  When I started, I had a friend who had already been scrapbooking for awhile, so she helped me with the basics.  So did taking a class.  And I think the best advice is to learn how to use your paper effectively...you don't need a $4.00 sticker to make a page look great.  I am a broke college student, so I am very creative with my products.  Learn how to be comfortable with all kinds of paper and you'll be off to a great start.  Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brownsugar13
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005 04:55:59 PM »

thanks!  im kinda broke too, but i have my mom helping me out...unfortunately, we can't exactly spend 50 bucks on all these awesome things at Michaels and fancy craft stores!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brownsugar13
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005 07:41:48 AM »

COME ON, you guys!  YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO HELP ME OUT! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillyBarbie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005 12:08:41 PM »

The first thing I would do is check out sites like 2 peas in a bucket that have galleries.  Look at the layouts in the galleries and make notes about layouts that you're attracted to. This will help you to define your style and make it easier to know what sorts of embellishments you should buy.  You're obviously going to need some staple stuff (paper, adhesives, a trimmer to cut your paper with).  As far as the other stuff goes, you should get a feel first for what you'd want to use before you go out and spend a ton of money on tools and embellishments that you may end up not using very much.  I did that when I was first starting out and ended up throwing alot of stuff away.  Right now my favorite things to use on pages are office supply items, acrylic paint, and dymo labeling tape, all of which are pretty inexpensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Barbie
Carrie_Stephens

Carrie Stephens

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005 12:33:17 PM »

Maybe try ebay for your supplies?  it could help reduce costs  Smiley

If you have image editing software on your computer, digital photos or a scanner you could start digiscrapping Smiley  a few good sites for that are
scrapbook-elements.com  - they have tutorials to help you get started and a great gallery of other digital scrapbook layouts
scrapbook-bytes.com - they have LOTS and LOTS of tutorials for every program, a forum dedicated to digital scrapping and online crops for beginners

I see paper scrapbooking as expensive no matter how frugal you try to be..LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Carrie Stephens
Blog: http://www.carries.typepad.com
kendaljay

Funny, she looks smaller from outside her head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005 09:33:06 AM »

walmart has actually started getting in a lot of cute things, and they're a bit cheaper than Michael's.  also the dollar stores!!  a lot of them have been getting stuff too!  also, if you do want to buy stuff at michael's or joann's or hobby lobby, always wait until it's on sale!! cause whatever it is you want, stickers, stamps, paper, etc...it WILL go on sale at one of these places!!  and you can sign up on their websites for the internet ads and coupons too.  michael's and joann's both do 40-50% off one item coupons all the time. 
beyond the stores, i would just look around your house. you probably have all kinds of stuff that you didn't even think about using:  wrapping paper, magazines, old books, receipts, ticket stubs, use your old crayons and markers to make your own pretty patterned paper, hmm...sewing supplies like threads and buttons and fabrics are fun embellishments, k i can't think of anything else right now.
i hope this helps you out some though!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you say words a lot they don't mean anything. Or maybe they don't mean anything anyway, and we just think they do.---Delirium

www.makeitcute.etsy .com
brownsugar13
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005 03:45:15 PM »

thanx!  i like the idea of using wrapping paper.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyskull77
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005 09:29:32 PM »

I love the idea of looking around your house.  Some items I've used that are a little off the wall, but turned out great:
Pajama pants
handkerchief
keys
rosary
buttons (I got two big medicine bottles free at a garage sale--SCORE!!)
broken beads
pop tabs

Also try Target.  I just got some metal embellishments for .74 a pack on clearance there tonight!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady dee
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005 11:58:47 AM »

The Dollar Tree has lots of great scrapbooking paper & embellishments for only a dollar each!  i don't know if there is one in your area but check out their website, they have a store locator (www.dollartree.com).  & i agree non-traditional around the house stuff is really great to use too!  so before you throw something out, always think if you can use it for your scrapbook!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dee of AnnDeeScraps (two best friends making fun stuff together)

Pics of stuff i've created: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydee/sets/731194/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Embrace the Struggle Book Trailer
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Karyl McBride
Dannii Minogue Talks About Her Autobiography
Dan Gutman Talks About the Christmas Genie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...