A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glasses & Sandals for Sophie  (Read 210 times)
Tags for this thread: doll_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« on: June 10, 2014 09:03:12 AM »

Here are some sandals and glasses I handmade as accessories for my Spin Master Liv: School's Out Sophie doll, who stands 11.6" (29.4 cm) tall (without a wig).  Please note that I only made the glasses and sandals, nothing else.

Materials:
Glasses (wire twist ties, newsprint, white glue, acrylic paint, and transparent plastic)
Sandals (cardboard, brown paper grocery bag, white lined notebook paper, white glue, and acrylic paint)

Time:
Two days; the glasses on 6/7/14 and the sandals on 6/8/14.

GLASSES:

Preliminary paper test pattern.

Test pattern on Sophie's head. The size checks out, so it's full steam ahead!

Wire armature with the arms of the glasses covered with strips of newsprint.
Aside from providing support and defining the shape of the glasses, said wire is what allows the arms to bend/fold.

Test fit on Sophie's head.  The arms are the proper length to reach behind her ears, so all is well.

Glass frames completely covered in newsprint.
A second wire segment was added to create the shape of the bottom half of the lens holes.
Aside from some sanding and final adjustments, they're ready to paint.

Final check on Sophie's head before finishing adjustments and painting.
They're a bit asymmetrical, but the overall fit is good and she looks classier already!
After the glasses were painted, I cut out lenses from a sheet of transparent plastic and embedded them in the
frames, completing the accessory.

The finished product.

SANDALS:

The first thing I did was trace the outline of Sophie's foot to make a pattern for the soles of the sandals.
The bottoms of the sandals are 4-ply thick cardboard: three layers glued back-to-back, and then the sandal straps sandwiched in between that stack and one more layer.

In order to work on the shoes without damaging Sophie's feet, I covered them in plastic and transparent tape.
That thin protective layer also ensures that there will be enough wiggle room so that the sandals won't become too tight after they're painted.

I wrapped strips of paper, from a brown grocery bag, around her feet to create the sandal straps, and then glued the soles onto those.

Here are the rough sandals on a doll's bare feet.  The fit is pretty good--loose enough to slip them on-and-off, but not so loose as to fall off.

These are the finished sandals, with small decorative bows added to the front straps, just prior to painting.

The finished product.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014 09:23:12 AM »

You did a fantastic job making these tiny things!  I am really impressed with the sandals...buying cute shoes for dolls is really tough sometimes...

I also love how you posed her...kinda reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer poses! Grin

Cute outfit, completed by your awesome accessories!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014 11:54:37 AM »

These are really good. I didn't think the sandals were made of paper and card.  The glasses are so much better than the sort of thing you can buy for dolls. Thank you for showing us how you did it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
Swiss and Mushroom BBQ Burger Recipe
Man U: How To Grill
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Panko Crusted-Sriracha Onion Rings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...