A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you finish off your wire wrap jewelry?  (Read 519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Im Sew Silly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2014 10:33:26 PM »

IF you are making a pendant, ring, what have you, do you wrap, wrap, tuck or do you always solder the ends?
What do you do to make sure there aren't any prickle end pieces to make your creation comfy for the wearer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014 08:01:56 AM »

I'm interested in hearing what others do as well. I would solder it personally, but don't know if that is the best method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Im Sew Silly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014 11:01:08 AM »

HI there! Thanks for your reply. I don't own a soldering iron but does one have to be working with 100% certain metal to use one? LIke the wire I am using is  sterling silver plated non tarnish jewelry craft wire.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014 12:52:50 AM »

Mostly wrapping and tucking.  I can usually work the tail of the wire in so it won't be troublesome.  If it has a pokey edge, sometimes you can get a teeny tiny file in to take that down, or something small and pointy to tuck it where it sent bothersome.

If I really need soldered, I'll make sure of the type of metal and let my guy have at it.  He has all of the equipment for small wire soldering, as he does work on electronic stuff in vehicles since he is a mechanic.  He has also welded a thing or two.  Braised as well...

I find I am a little too wobbly for my linking to mess with small stuff and fire. 

He really recommends a magnetic holder for soldering tiny stuff, that way both of hands are free to work on stuff.  He got them from NAPA and they are listed as a magnetic soldering clamp.  http://m.napaonline.com/tablet//parts/PartDetails.aspx?Id=SER774025_0120223323. You can check them out on the NAPA page there.  I keep thinking about getting one just to hold stuff in place and free up another hand.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014 12:57:39 AM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Killam Creative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014 05:04:19 AM »

Listessa - thanks for the soldering clamp link! I use one of those jewelry clamps with two arms and the magnifier but find it can get top-heavy and unstable. If this NAPA one has a heavy base the lower center of gravity is fantastic!

Oh, and I wrap, tuck and file for the most part. I took a torch class at Bead & Button a few years ago but am nervous to do it on my own.

Sent via Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't make it with your hands.
You form it with your hands.
You make it with your mind.
                Edgar Tolson, 1971

Pinterest
Blog
Im Sew Silly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014 05:26:22 AM »

Thanks for the info and the magnetic clamp thing does sound neat to free up hands! I looked almost like a juggling act the other day while trying to bend a fork  Cheesy
 I have been wrapping and tucking. Glad to hear I am not the only one around here who does!  Cheesy
(I just know if I solder I will put a hole clean thru & destroy what I am working on!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014 11:15:50 PM »

I have several garage-sale place card holders that are just weighted bottoms with a wire and alligator clamp like on the magnetic clamp.  Just enough of a third hand for small projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014 03:11:50 AM »

Listessa - thanks for the soldering clamp link! I use one of those jewelry clamps with two arms and the magnifier but find it can get top-heavy and unstable. If this NAPA one has a heavy base the lower center of gravity is fantastic!

Oh, and I wrap, tuck and file for the most part. I took a torch class at Bead & Button a few years ago but am nervous to do it on my own.

Sent via Tapatalk

I believe my boyfriend somehow attached a couple to a heavy base of steel plate to keep it down.  I can't remember if it comes with a heavy magnet base or if he did something to modify it. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Killam Creative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014 06:23:26 AM »

Sent via Tapatalk

I believe my boyfriend somehow attached a couple to a heavy base of steel plate to keep it down.  I can't remember if it comes with a heavy magnet base or if he did something to modify it. Smiley

A big washer from the hardware and E6000 will do the trick! I definitely like the lower center of gravity. Thanks!

Sent via Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't make it with your hands.
You form it with your hands.
You make it with your mind.
                Edgar Tolson, 1971

Pinterest
Blog
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014 01:33:44 AM »

Ooo!  I love it!  That is an awesome idea! 

I thought of this thread at Joann's today too.  They have a new tool by the wire section, it smooths jagged wire edges into little domes.  Kind of like a reverse bead reamer.  I'm completely spacing out the name now, but go look for it!  Super cool idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Tracing Image
Extreme Website Makeover - New Document and Preview in Browser Preferences
Extreme Website Makeover - Setting Up the Site Definition
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Dreamweaver® Site
Extreme Website Makeover - Doing a Final Clean-up Pass
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...