A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Psudeo-Stumpwork on the fly - sushi, spiders, and more  (Read 2821 times)
Tags for this thread: stumpwork , spider , atc , inchie , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2014 05:00:13 PM »

I have always admired stumpwork especially from fellow craftsters Ludi and jemimah. So when the recent Twinchie swap came around, I decided to tackle this technique for fun. Everything I did was based off of images and tutorials I found around the web.

The first thing I made was this wee twinchie for the aforementioned swap. While the mounting made the entire piece slightly larger than 2 inches, the stitching itself was contained to about 1.75". The clover was made over some jewelry wire I had on hand. When I do this again I will make sure to use thinner wire since I had a bit of trouble anchoring the wire on the backside. I ended up mounting the whole thing on foam core board and dug out a little hollow for the wire to sit in and liberally glued it so it's not going anywhere. Also another thing I didn't really pull off was the buttonhole stitch that's supposed to anchor the wire to the fabric. I had a really hard time with it, so I ended up just doing a really tight whip stitch which seemed to work well.

After that, I was hooked and had to make more. I made two ATCs for alwaysinmyroom in the current OWS swap. The first one was based on a piece of embroidery I found through pinterest. My only regret is that when I was sewing the fabric to the base (again foam core board) it ended up pulling a little too much to one side and isn't that centered. But live and learn. (I love the little shrimp!)

I also made her this spider fellow...looking up reference pictures were simultaneously awe-inspiring and really creepy (not a huge spider fan in real life). I used wire for the legs wrapped in embroidery floss - that bit was made up on the fly - I doubt that is a typical stumpwork technique, or at least I didn't see anything for it.

Oh, and to keep the spider proportional the front legs ended up being distended off the card. I thought about redoing it, but I liked how it looked like it was escaping. They're also movable somewhat.

I also made another 2" piece with a mushroom and beetle. And lots of french knots. French knots are fun  Smiley The mushroom was rather a challenge (another thing I kind of made up since I didn't see any tutorials on how to form the cap) to stitch through so I don't know if I'll do too many more of those unless I learn of a better way to do it.

Last one, not technically stumpwork, but it was some fun texture stitching I did all for myself. More french knots and looped bullion knots mounted on a copper pendant base (thank you tapestrymlp!). All I need to do now is add a chain.

Edit: Now named "Yummy melted cheese dish" Thanks alwaysinmyroom!

That's it for now. I'd love to hear any tips or advice if anyone has it to offer. I am just getting started with stumpwork!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014 06:27:33 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alittlemusthave

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014 05:28:44 PM »

OMG WOW wow wow AND wow. I love them all! Simply gorgeous. I love how the spider legs are coming out longer like it's about to walk off. I'm glad it turned out like that.
I love the mushroom and think it turned out wonderful.... French knots are beautiful I agree....I could go on and on .....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014 05:33:58 PM by Alittlemusthave » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014 05:39:23 PM »

I am happy to be the recipient of the spider and the sushi!  How fun to get something that you wanted to try out...and you did a wonderful job...love the textures, the colors, the 3-d effect, etc.

I was looking for letters of my name in ATC's, but the spider is just too wonderful and needs to be displayed all on its own!  I am going to put it with my collection of "bugs"...you will be in company of cackle's pieces for me... Grin

The sushi is going in my kitchen...or maybe in my Japanese curio cabinet!

Nice work, sheepblue...keep on trying new things!  I am sure there are a bunch of us who would love to be your guinea pig! Grin

lol--the last piece threw me...I thought it was a yummy melted cheese dish....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014 05:40:49 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014 05:42:31 PM »

OMG WOW wow wow AND wow. I love them all! Simply gorgeous. I love how the spider legs are coming out longer like it's about to walk off. I'm glad it turned out like that.
I love the mushroom and think it turned out wonderful.... French knots are beautiful I agree....I could go on and on .....

Ditto to all of it!!

I am definitely adding stumpwork to my list of crafts I want to learn. I need to improve my basic stitching first before I branch out, but I am so inspired by your work (Love, love, love the spider! One of my favorites, especially because they make such amazing webs.)! I've bookmarked this topic so I can come back for inspiration when I'm ready to give it a go Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014 05:55:13 PM »

I love all of these so much!  All of them ROCK so hard!   Cheesy  So inspiring!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014 06:04:09 PM »

Thank you guys so much for your beautiful words. I had a tremendous amount of fun making these and your feedback is a validation to all my little experiments and made up techniques that really warm my heart.

lol--the last piece threw me...I thought it was a yummy melted cheese dish....

This made me choke on my spit, you caught me off-guard always LOL. Now it'll forever be a yummy melted cheese dish to me. I do love cheese.

I love all of these so much!  All of them ROCK so hard!   Cheesy  So inspiring!

No, Thank you for being a tremendous amount of inspiration to me!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014 06:20:41 PM »

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsycandice

Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014 06:26:18 PM »

Oh myyy! Those are brilliant!! I especially love the mushroom and yummy cheese dish. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find happiness.
"Make good art" - Neil Gaiman
My website
50 Projects in 2014
Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014 06:37:01 PM »

Beautiful! I love all of them, tho my favorite is the ladybug and 4 leaf clover. French knots for the dirt was an interesting choice - I think it gives it a perfect texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancybutch

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014 10:20:19 PM »

gorgeous! I particularly love the sushi!  so clever.
great skill for first attempts
and totally inspiring

I just did my first French knots and a going to have to work on more consistent size, some are big and loose and some are smaller and tighter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Quilting Cotton in Sewing Projects
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
How to Sew Corners
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...