A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,660
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mega Man 3 Papercraft Diorama  (Read 721 times)
Tags for this thread: papercraft , diorama , megaman , capcom , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« on: June 06, 2014 08:55:52 AM »

My recent Castlevania: The Adventure papercraft diorama came out well, so, I was eager to get started on another one. This time I selected a scene from the Snake Man stage in Capcom's 1992 Mega Man 3 Gameboy video game (original Japanese title: Rokku Man Wa-rudo 3, which translates to Rock Man World 3 in English--Rock Man is Mega Man's original name in Japan, if you didn't already know).

Here's the reference screenshot I worked from:

Mega Man vs. Big Snakey:

More photos/information:
http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/MM3_papercraft_diorama.html

Materials:
Cardboard, game graphics printed out on white paper, white glue, newsprint, permanent marker, and a wire twist tie (mounts for floating elements only).

Dimensions:
8.4 cm (3.3") x 7.5 cm (3.0") [widest point x highest point]

Time:
Three days: June 3-5, 2014.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014 12:10:07 PM »

So impressed by the way you have managed to turn a 2 dimensional picture into a 3 dimensional model.  How did you know what the top of the snake's head looked like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014 05:32:42 PM »

Just wonderful! I've been showing your posts to my 13 y/o, he's gotten into papercraft lately and finds your projects very inspirational. Nicely done!
This is the site he likes right now, he started out with the Origami Starwars series of books though, super fun.

http://pixelpapercraft.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Patraw
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014 08:53:41 AM »

@elderflower:  As it's a 2D game, there's no way to know what the top of the snake's head looks like, so, I just edited the game graphics to make something appropriate and glued that onto the head geometry.

@craftylittlemonkey:  Glad I could be of some inspiration to your son.  Tell him to pay attention in geometry class in school, that and drafting and wood/metal shop are probably the classes that gave me the most useful knowledge/skills for constructing/designing papercraft objects.

That web site you gave the link to looks cool, and I've seen some of those ready-made paper origami/model books too.  When I was a kid, we used to have these magazines that you could buy in the store with people, buildings, etc. that you'd punch out and then fold up into 3-Dimensional structures, which were great fun (I seem to recall circus and farm themed ones in particular).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014 11:58:52 AM »

I'll totally pass along your recommendations to him. He's quite the little artiste but only when it comes to things he really, really enjoys and this is one of those things for sure. He'll work for hours and days on a project so I know he can handle tough stuff if he's inspired.
He's had those punch out books of foldable figures, lots of tear out paper airplane books when he was younger too. I was talking about this series though, proper origami and some of it pretty complex. He's really into it, folded 500 Yodas one year, lol. Drives me a little crazy but then I think of my fabric and other crafting stash and, hmm, I know just where he gets it from Cheesy.
http://origamiyoda.wordpress.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Paves’ Triplet Makeover
Jessica Alba Named New Face of Braun
How to Fade Dark Spots and Acne Scars
Flawless Foundation Makeup Tutorial
Choosing an Orange Lipstick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...