A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Rat Puck Stick *Not official, registered, regulation gear*  (Read 227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: June 05, 2014 04:47:08 PM »

While making Rat Puck Sticks for myself and my Maddy Adventurous, it occurred to me that if her little minion, I mean sister, didn't get her own that she would 1) Loudly and Consistently protest, and 2) Attempt to take others sticks from them.  *SO* I decided to make her a Rat Puck Stick of her own, and document the process. 

The first step of making your own custom Rat Puck Stick is to measure your height.  We have a bathroom door reserved for this purpose (3 generations now) but you may have a door jam, a measuring stick, or poster reserved for this.  Whichever is fine, but you need your height.  In *this* case our measurement was 33 3/4".  To get the length of your Rat Puck Stick you need to add 12" (or 1 foot) to your height.  In our case we rounded up to 34, added 12, and got a total of 46". 

The second step is to find a grove of trees small in diameter to scrounge your stick from.  You dont want a stick off the ground, as it will be rotted and will not withstand the roughness of play.  We used persimmon wood from this small stand growing in the West Pasture.  We used a chainsaw to cut down 4 young trees who didn't make it through the Winter, but hadn't fallen down.  They are not only still plenty strong, but also dried out. 

Drag your tree home, cut the top off, measure your length from your stick's top, mark it, and cut your stick to size.  You measure from the top because you don't want the bottom to be too thick and heavy. 

Here's where it get's a little tricky.  Decide how it's comfortable to hold your stick sideways (each stick is different), and cut a slot up from the bottom of your stick, in the middle of your stick, a few inches.  I used a circular saw for this and it worked like butter, but a jig saw would also work very well, maybe even better.  In a pinch a hack saw would also work, but I pity your arm muscles when you're done.  After you make the first cut in the bottom of your stick you need to make a second cut so you have a ledge on the bottom of your stick to balance your cloth Rat Puck on while you toss it.  I made my second cut at an angle to make it snazzy. but you can make your cut perpendicular if you want.

At this point you *could* "theoretically" be done.  But you aren't, because YOU want an *exceptional* Rat Puck Stick.  SO, next you then sand your rough Rat Puck Stick until it's as smooth a a baby's bottom.  I used an orbital sanger for this, and it did a GREAT job!  There is NO WAY little hands will manage to get a splinter of any kind while handling her Rat Puck Stick.  Cheesy 

Leave plain, shellac, or paint.  *thumbs up*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014 08:21:58 PM »

I'm not sure what a rat puck stick is for, but your tutorial is great. If I needed one, I think I could make one now. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Great Fishing Photos
How to Look Better in Pictures
Death And Devils in 3D Stereoscopic Art
How to Take Your Own Passport Photos
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith WonderCon Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...