A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Enlarging help - knitting for VERY big girl!  (Read 344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chickidee
« on: July 10, 2014 04:15:21 PM »

Hey all! I'm a huge girl, (80 inch around bust) and I want to make myself a knitting pattern. It will be the first time I'm increasing a pattern for myself, so I'm still learning. Now, I'm thinking the easy way would be to take the 44 inch piece and double the numbers. Will that work? I've already went down a needle size so my gauge is the same as theirs. Any help would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014 08:16:48 AM »

You realize doubling a 44" will get you 88" and a bit too large... That will also make the shoulders and neckline way too large and possibly around the middle too. Actually, using larger needles may work better. Measure across the shoulders to see what size will work there, and work with a size that fits there. Then use short row shaping and larger needles in the bust. If you were on ravelry, there's a few groups there that help adjusting patterns, and they could recommend some books as well. You might also find patterns that go up to 60" or more, which may be easier to adjust to your size.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014 08:18:51 AM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Chickidee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014 03:13:31 PM »

Will do the math then Smiley thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pc51870
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014 01:14:31 PM »

I found this posted elsewhere and hope it helps

i am super sized myself, so have had to learn how to increase patterns and it really isn't that hard.....

i use graph paper for ease....

take your pattern as it exists and label the sizes at the top of a column, skip a column between sizes.

now go thru the pattern, entering a label for that line and a number every time it says to do something for each size ... you don't have to worry about the pattern or actually doing each row, just where they put those brackets for the different sizes....

so....CO 20(30, 40, 50) sts....you would have the sizes at the top, and then on line 1, CO....then under each correct size, write the number of CO sts for THAT size....

there will probably be a half dozen or so of these entrys...armhole shaping, underarm increases, length of body rows, casting off....anywhere there are brackets and choices for the sizes....

when finished, go back to the top of the page and enter in more size numbers, Size 12 mos, 24 mos, 36 mos, that's 1, 2 and 3, so you begin the next column with 4 and then 6.

Now go down the list, they put 10 sts in for each new size, you do the same, now the top row reads CO 20, (30, 40, 50, 60, etc.,) If they increased the next category line by 3 sts for each size, you do the same.....fill out your chart all the way to size six and you'll be fine. the length needs to be considered for any child's pattern as a separate thing....every child grows at different rates and that may need to be adjusted....this has worked for me for 50 years, i'm sure you will enjoy it if you try it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Budge-Proof Makeup in 3 Easy Steps
Top 5 Winter Makeup Trends
How to Wear Bright Lipstick
Quick Tips for a Polished and Professional Makeup
Easy Mirror-Free Makeup Touch-Ups
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...