A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
804 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: very new person need help selecting a machine  (Read 352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

choo_choo
« on: June 03, 2014 01:33:10 PM »

Have done general sewing several years Have some machines specifically for leather and a couple for cloth.
I want to either replace one of my cloth ones or add another machine.
I do denim, light to medium weight canvas, heavy wool blankets, and motorcycle vests, and a combination of these.
I am starting to make heavy wool blanket capote and rifle socks  as in Mountainman era, but machine sewn rather than hand stitched.... Arthritis don't you know.
I have a 1957 Singer 31-15  great machine but flat table and no zig zag
Got a 1960's  6211. Again a good machine but a little light weight for the heavier fabric. Plus you have to hold reverse.
------------
Ok here is what I am looking for and hopefully somebody can recommend a few brands and models that I can research.  And of course I would be willing to buy the machine from someone here if price right and will easily do what I need.

For my heavier material  I will be looking at a round or flat shank needle  135   sizing with 16 to 20 eye opening(135 x5   110/18  /// 135x8BNW  140/22  common sizing)  both cloth and leather points.

Machine = belt or gear driven    table top or cabinet ( I have cabinets)
would like a removable table so can do open arm for sleeves etc.

need basic forward and reverse with reverse locked (both hands free)  simple zig zag.

Prefer all the working parts be metal with metal frames.

Would prefer an older one to help keep price low.  Brand is not a major consideration just capability.

Hope you all can understand what I trying to say. And thanks for any suggestions you can give

THIS ROCKS   Logged
choo_choo
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014 03:44:34 PM »

Well I guess absolutely no one has any suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choo_choo
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014 09:11:49 AM »

Well. either nobody here is generally knowledgeable about various makes and model available.
Or you have elected to keep the knowledge to yourselves.
I was hoping for some kind of input. What to look for generally.
Well no such luck.
So I did some further research on my own.
I did not find one machine in my price range that had all the requirements.
But I did find a old all metal workhorse, that was in my price range (lower actually)
that had three of the requirements. heavy enough for the lightweight leather I do (not the heavy I do).
zig zag and hands free continuous reverse.
I am amazed no one here even thought to mention this machine as a possibility, being it is fairly common and was manufactured from the mid 1950's through 1960's.
So my guess is in the first two sentences.
which really sucks when someone comes here hoping to get the benefits of the knowledge of all the members combined.
And you are right I have now adopted an attitude problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014 11:25:54 PM »

Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum, "Sewing Machines, a Buyers Guide"?  It's there so that the same info doesn't have to be posted for every single person who joins Craftster just to request info on buying a sewing machine.  There is also a search function, so you can find all the other posts of people who joined Craftster just to request info on buying a sewing machine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choo_choo
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014 03:42:16 PM »

Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum, "Sewing Machines, a Buyers Guide"?  It's there so that the same info doesn't have to be posted for every single person who joins Craftster just to request info on buying a sewing machine.  There is also a search function, so you can find all the other posts of people who joined Craftster just to request info on buying a sewing machine.  
yep as a matter of fact I did, But needed more hands on information. Info from people that had been there done that and either that machine either worked or didn't.
But apparently, either no body comes here and reads, or they read and have no knowledge.
I did a lot of google searches, and when all else failed I went to Singer direct.
They gave me the info on two machines that would do most of what I wanted
If somebody here would of recommended a brand and model to look into. I would of done that too.
But apparently nobody has any info on older machines
I now have 2 singer 31-15.  A heavy duty Singer clone made in Japan.
A 6211 for lighter weight work
The new to me singer 401.
A Rex / Tuffsew/ consew unit for moderate leather
a Juki 1508 for the heavy stuff
and a Tippmann Boss for really heavy and traveling
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014 04:24:47 PM by MissingWillow - Reason: To comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get More Body for Your Hair
How to Get Knots Out of Your Hair
How to Get Face Framing Curls for Your Hair
How to Do Burlesque Hair
How to Do J-Rock Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...