A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2014 Monkeys!  (Read 721 times)
Tags for this thread: sock_monkey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 29, 2014 07:04:17 PM »

Extreme close up! WOAH!

Warning: Lots of Words and Lots of Photos!

So for reasons that Craftster doesn't like us discussing, I am making lots and lots of monkeys. Last year I had a thread where I posted all of my finished monkeys and just kept it going as I made more. I decided rather than expand that thread I would just start a new one for this year.

My goal for the month of May was 20 monkeys. I made it! And I wanted to keep going but I had other goals that I am still not finished with yet so I had to stop. Sad But my goal for June is at least 30 monkeys so when stuff starts on July 12th hopefully I will have enough stock Wink Before I started on the design stage of the monkeys I had to get all of the monkeys I had in progress to the "Hooker Stage" (faceless bodies) and that was my goal for April that I just barely squeezed in under the wire, like 1139 April 30. Just for reference, I had 6 overflowing boxes (5 lb fiber fill boxes) full of Hookers in the bottom of my Ballroom Stairwell.

Not all of these are going out to the public. The first I made was for the Public Library's Summer Reading Program. This year the theme is "Fizz! Boom! Read!" and all science related. So I made this guy:

This one was made for a birthday party my 4 year old went to. She actually designed the whole thing, with me just giving pointers and a couple vetoes. Of course I stitched him, but she did the real work. The little girl loved him!

I was stitching at BK and a lady I know from Jazzercise saw and ordered a monkey for her grandbaby, so I made this guy just with that in mind.

My friend had a Gender Reveal baby shower and since she wouldn't even let me in on the secret before hand I had to make a boy monkey and girl monkey for her. I figured whichever one she didn't need I could always do away with later. (I know you guys don't like me talking about what I do with these but man, this is hard censorship. I hope you appreciate my censorship!)

It turned out that she is having a girl and I was glad because I liked the bow better than the beau.
Also, the beau has a mustache in case you can't tell in this photo.

So they sell baskets at the Market and every week they have a raffle for one full of goodies that different vendors have donated that week and the proceeds go to the market itself. Last year I only donated a monkey 1 week, near the end, and the guy who is in charge of the market got mad at me for donating something worth so much. BUT the lady in charge of the raffle told me that she had never sold as many raffle tickets as that week and it was all because of my monkey. So this year I've decided to make "Mini Monkeys" out of infant knee high socks (did you know they make those?!) and the only way anyone can get one, unless it's a personal special request for a gift or something, is to win it in the raffle basket! HA! Take that, Lester! Tell me I can't contribute to the community...

And now a bunch of generic monkeys that were not made with special intentions in mind.

Specs: each monkey takes me about 3 hours to make, even the Minis. I use all real socks, mostly bought at Target and the Dollar Tree. The decor on each is mostly made from Hobby Lobby felt, various buttons, and this year I started using a cotton craft thread. Last year I used DMC floss to stitch but this time I found new thread and I love it! It really makes more of a statement on the felt than just 2 ply floss.

Making this post has made me realize I need to make more without the use of buttons so they are appropriate for children under the age of 3. I hate it when people take them for new babies and they have buttons on them! It makes me so nervous!

Questions and comments greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014 01:49:18 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014 12:22:27 AM »

I just love all your monkeys. I amazed they only take about 3 hours each.  They each have such lovely details on them and I really love the socks you chose for each one.
What thread are you using now? I take it you are not using a stranded cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014 06:17:34 AM »

All of your monkeys are so creative!  No two alike...that makes them even more precious!

I love your mini-monkeys and your solution to mean market guy! Grin

The second monkey designed by a little girl is so sweet...she did a good job of "directing" you to excatly what she wanted... Grin

Nice job...keep those colorful cute monkeys coming...they are really fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014 07:21:07 AM »

Love your sock monkeys!  I need to talk to you about a private swap one of these days....  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014 01:47:35 PM »

Elderflower, Thanks! The thread I'm using now is not a stranded cotton, but it is sold right there in the same spot at the HobLob. It just said "cotton craft thread" on the package I think. Artiste is the brand. They were the only brand selling packages of any kind of thread. I think the package of 36 skeins (18 different colors) was only 6$. Can't beat that! And the only reason they only take 3 hours each now is because I do them all assembly line style. Cut a whole bunch of socks, chain sew them all on the machine, flip them all at the same time, etc. The longest part of the whole thing for me can be the design phase!

Alwaysinmyroom, No 2 alike indeed! That's me for you though, I can't copy the same thing over and over again or else it becomes rote and I can't function. Making them all individual keeps it free and flowing and holds my interest. If there were 2 alike then I would be done with making them. Do you see where I'm going with that? It's hard for me to express myself properly sometimes. And now hat my 4 year old is interested in helping me design them, I think they will start being even more diverse! I get more veto power if they are not for her friends, though. Wink

Bunny, YES! Personal swaps are better than money, especially with you. You just tell me which one(s) you want and I'll save them for you on the side. Wink

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I sure am feeling wordy lately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

gotgrey

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014 02:03:12 PM »

Your monkeys are so cute!  I recently made one for my husband's agent's little boy, because he asked me too.  He wanted to do something nice for her, because she works so hard for him.  I took a pic, but, erased it off of my camera before I uploaded it.  I told my little sister that I like to make sock monkeys out of cute knee high socks.  So, for my birthday, she sent me a whole stack of them.  I got them today.  I told my husband that was what they were for.  He didn't believe me, because he knows that I like to wear cute socks.  I told him that I do like to wear cute socks, but, not knee high socks.  I can't wait to make some cute sock monkeys!  I'll post some pics when I do. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014 01:40:10 PM »

My goal this month was 30 monkeys, at least. So here are the 30 I made to get my goal over with!

No buttons:

Buttons:

I'm sure after I finish other things this month I will make more, but for now my goal is sated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

mdelilahcarlson

so many crafts, so little time...

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014 01:45:31 PM »

So many cute monkeys!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014 08:39:04 AM »

Whilst I like both monkeys w/buttons and not buttons, the monkeys w/o buttons are my favs!  WOW 30 is a lot of monkeys!  I made that many once, and I thought I would lose my mind!  Needless to say, I didn't make any more sock monkeys for a long, long time.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014 08:52:36 AM »

HA! 30 is nothing. Well, now that I have them in the all in the hooker stage and just need to design them that is. I will be making over 200 before the summer is done, I'm sure. I've been working on them pretty much since the last market ended, which means I've been working on them since before the last market started since I worked through the market with them. So just about a year, constantly in Monkey Mode.

Hey, here's a pic of my pile of Hookers at the base of the ballroom stairs, just for kicks and giggles. I had to get all of what I had in progress (~150?) to this stage by the end of April before I could start designing any of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Nail Colors For Fall
Why Trading Beauty Products Can Be Risky
Tips For Eye Makeup and Drugstore Products
Coconut Oil For White Teeth and Clearer Skin
New Ways to Wear Blue Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...