A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: kids craft swap Round 7 (Signups 5/27-6-/11/14, Sendouts July 30, 2014)  (Read 8916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2014 12:53:34 PM »

I bought her a pair of rollerskates with light up wheels for Christmas. She saw another kid at the rink with them and HAD to have them. But, they say "derby girl" on them and now she is afraid to skate on them because they will go too fast.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linakins
Craft Hoarder

Will work for craft supplies!

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2014 05:34:40 PM »

Katherine: 4 done... all that's left is the big piece

Elaine: 2 done, waiting for supplies
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft to preserve my sanity!

If you like my work and would be interested in a personal swap, please contact me!
whatthepuck
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2014 06:49:56 AM »

Is anyone else doing this swap with an ADHD kid? Tips? Advice? At the rate we're going we'll be shipping out around Christmas time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Portia my Little Visitor's facebook

Swaps:
Secret Santa
Little Visitor
Nov ATC 2/0/0
Momof2!
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2014 07:40:31 AM »

We got some serious crafting done yesterday. Well, the kids did. I was helping them (which means I was cleaning up behind them). They had a great time though, and are both really proud of how their work turned out. We are having about 20 people over this afternoon for a 4th of July cookout/party so we won't be crafting any today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizabiz08
KniftyKnitterChick

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2014 08:45:29 AM »

Our internet hasn't been working well the last few weeks. Were getting there. Gavin is picky about toys. We bought him a train table for Christmas after he played with one at a store and loved it. He didn't care for it even though we thought he'd love it. It got sold a few months later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wife to 1 (8/26/12)
Mama to 1 boy (3/6/11) and 3 fur children (01/05/10), adopted (3/18/13) and adopted (8/4/13)

~Current Swaps~
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2014 01:19:05 PM »

We bought them a Lego set and table which my husband and I both loved growing up.  They spent more time with the boxes.

We have not progressed much since I was gearing up for my final for statistics. Note that that is over we can (I can) concentrate on crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
erica_tattoos
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2014 02:52:34 PM »

Is anyone else doing this swap with an ADHD kid? Tips? Advice? At the rate we're going we'll be shipping out around Christmas time.

lol. yup. two of them. my older one (christopher) is more on the attention deficit end of the spectrum and my younger (nicholas) is more on the hyperactive end. when christopher is engaged in a project he is excited about, he can get lost in his own little world and happily craft away for a relatively long (45min ~ 1 hr) time. nicholas loves to craft but he has to be fully engaged to stay committed, so i have to kinda coach him along and craft with him to keep him on task.

i have found that everyone has the most fun with smaller, simple crafts that can be completed in under an hour. if it's something more time consuming i break it into steps and we spread it out over the course of several crafting sessions (which generally only happen once or twice a week).

for instance: perler beads. both the boys told me they wanted to do some perler for this swap. so we sat down for all of 15 minutes one evening before dinner and looked at our partners' Q's and decided what things we thought might be fun to do in perler.
 then i sat down by myself later that night on pinterest and looked up a handful i thought christopher might like to do and a handful that nick might enjoy.
the next day earlier in the day i showed each of the boys the patterns i thought they might like and asked them each to pick two. (they always enjoy projects so much more when they feel like they have some control over what gets chosen!)
 that evening we all sat down at the table and listened to some music and we spent time together sorting out the bead colors they would need from the giant mixed jug we have. they didn't get quite enough sorted for the whole project but they got enough to get started.
 later the next afternoon we sat down together with the radio again and they worked on their projects while i continued sorting.
nicholas, being younger and having a much shorter attention span, his projects were a little smaller than chris's. so he fiddled along and finished one and then stopped and helped me sort for christopher for a little bit and then we went and ironed his first one and then he decided he was ready to work on his second one.
 christopher chugged right along but only worked on the first one and half of the next one before he got bored with it.  nick finished his second one, and we ironed it. then he went under the table and crawled around on the floor picking up loose beads for me while chris was still working on his. (lol there are always loose beads)
 nick has an earlier bedtime, and chris was able to sit back down with his stuff that evening after nick went to bed and finish up.

for nick the important thing to enjoying happy craft time is small simple crafts interspersed with other little jobs he can do to break up the monotony, and having someone he can chatter at while he works. (he likes to make up stories about what he's making lol)

for christopher the important thing is having all the "busy" work and planning out of the way before he gets started so that he can sit and focus on one task at a time without getting distracted.

both of them LOVE music while they work. i made them a playlist on spotify with all their favorite songs on it (yes. we have THREE different versions of "everything is awesome" on our playlist!)  Roll Eyes it sets the mood and they sing along while they work!

we keep our craft times relatively short - between 30 minutes and an hour - i like to stop when they're just at the tail end of the "we're still having fun" phase (before we get to the "do i haaaaaave to finish this NOOOW??? phase) so that they will still be excited to finish later. and if they want to stop before we are finished i generally let them - we can always make another crafting session out of finishing the project later on....

that ended up being a whole lot more of a novel than i planned on writing, lol! but we do have fun and our little short crafting sessions add up to a steady pace in the long run! we have been at a bit of a standstill lately since i am trying to finish up for another swap, but we are planning on getting back in gear next week! if you ever need tips or wanna brainstorm ideas for fun things to do, hit me up! maybe we can come up with something....  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2014 12:32:24 PM »

We made some progress over the long weekend.  Unfortunately one of Adia's projects got muffed up so we had to re-buy a few things so she can redo it.  I think Landon is about done.  He has made 4 smalls and one medium item and lucky for me really only needed some guidance!  Adia doesn't have quite as much does and needs to redo her one project that got ruined but she is making decent headway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkangelwingz
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2014 07:50:57 PM »

Things have been crazy here, so I apologize for not checking in.  we had a middle school graduation and a high school graduation.  WE also went away for a few days.  We have 2 smalls done and now that the craziness is over we start working on the bigger stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatthepuck
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2014 05:59:45 AM »

I've got a small done, a medium almost done and a large started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Portia my Little Visitor's facebook

Swaps:
Secret Santa
Little Visitor
Nov ATC 2/0/0
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designing a Brand That Even Non-Designers Can Work With
Testing Geo Restrictions
Bars2.Mp4
Bars4.Mp4
Giant Artwork Viewed From The Sky
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...