A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 308,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many ounces go in to the average skein?  (Read 934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wuggums47
« on: May 26, 2014 03:13:21 PM »

I used to be fibre from a semi-local shop, but since I've gotten back in to spinning, it has since gone out of business. I would probably be spinning worsted weight yarn, or something close to that, but I also spin kind of crazy yarns that can be rather bulky sometimes. My favorite fibers are merino, angora, and mohair, but usually I just spin something a bit more cheap unless I'm treating myself. If the weights are different for different materials, that would be nice to know. I have a Jensen wheel with standard bobbins. They aren't too big or too small. I would probably be spinning worsted weight, but I also spin lace and bulky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014 06:56:03 PM »

This question is impossible to answer definitively.  Simply because 1oz of angora bunny is a lot more then 1 ounce of mohair.   It's one of those ton of bricks vs ton of feathers things. Add to that, that you can spin angora a lot finer then you can most mohair I've spun.  There are to many variables!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogprincess
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014 04:37:10 PM »

i tend to spin singles and i get 240 yards of sock weight out of 4 ounces of bfl or merino. Again though its is hard to answer because different  fibers weight different things.  and  i think each different spinner will get a different yardage out of 4 oz. i tend to get my fibers on etsy. so many yummy fibers on there .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arienna
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016 02:27:46 PM »

Seems like the average indie dyer sells their yarn in a four oz braid. The ounces in an average skein of yarn is really going to depend on weight of the yarn... fingering is probably going to be a smaller (ounce wise) skein than an super bulky. Sock yarns are often sold in 50g (1.76 ounces) and 100g (3.5 ounce) skeins. Shawls will either be 100g (3.5 ounce) or 150g (5.3 ounce) weights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Vegan Chili
@Home This Weekend: DIY Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Coffee Filter Roses

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...