A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Water Well Key  (Read 190 times)
Tags for this thread: key  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Patraw
« on: July 11, 2014 08:30:14 AM »

Life-sized "Water Well Key" item, from ASCII's 1993 Wizardry Side Story III: Scripture of the Dark Gameboy roleplaying video game.

This is one of several keys that the party must acquire during their adventures if they ever hope to succeed in their quest (original Japanese name: 井戸の鍵, which romanizes to "Ido no Kagi"; "ido" is Japanese for "water well", "kagi" means "key", and "no" is a particle denoting possession or a source). As you have doubtlessly gleaned from its name, said item opens a locked well, which can be found deep in the Southern forest. Removing the lid from said structure will then allow the party to enter a door that was previously unpassable, down on the sixth basement level of the nearby South Cave dungeon. The Water Well Key itself can be found on the first floor of the Temple, on an altar in a hidden chamber. When you first acquire it, the Water Well Key will be unidentified, just like all Wizardry items obtained in the field, and thus, just a generic-looking key with unknown properties, but, returning to town, and paying Mikela $100 to appraise it, or doing it yourself, for free, if one of your party members happens to be a Bishop, will reveal what it really is.

Here's a screenshot of the locked well (that I colored, as the original game is all in black and white). The romanized Japanese hiragana text says, "Kagi o ake ido no futa o torihazushita.", which I would translate as, "A key is needed to open the well's cover."

In the game, there's no image of the Water Well Key, so, all I had to work from was the name. I based my design, in part, on a real vintage key I own, as well as some photos of others that I clipped out of a magazine a long time ago to use as a visual reference for a project like this.

In keeping with the theme I started with the Wizardry Side Story IV: Throb of the Demon's Heart Gold Key (Kin no Kagi) item I made back in 2012, I wanted to incorporate the pair of kanji that means "water well" into the handle. Aside from looking cool, it virtually ensures that I'll never forget what the combination of those two characters mean. Speaking of which, I wanted to take a photo of the two of them together, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I put that Gold Key after I took my last group shot of all my Wizardry art projects. I also briefly considered modeling a cylindrical, brick-textured well for the key's handle, but, after making some sketches, it seemed awkward-looking to me, and it would have probably added unnecessary heft/bulk to the item (not to mention increasing the time needed to complete this piece).

Materials:
Newsprint, cardboard, lined white paper, tissue paper, white glue, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
8.3 cm (3.3") in length x 2.9 cm (1.1") in width at the widest part of the handle.

Time:
Several hours on July 9, 2014.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014 09:04:56 AM »

Wow - this doesn't look like it's made from paper at all.  Fabulous job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014 10:46:08 AM »

There's no way magic wasn't involved int this. I see no evidence of paper crafting, here. haha, jk.

Amazing work, man. Totally looks like a real key!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014 05:09:25 PM »

I agree with Abbeeroad. This was created with sorcery. I can imagine a crazy cool hooded wizard costume with your special keys hanging off of a large old fashioned key ring. I hit "this rocks!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Styling Products Tips
Convertible Hair Style Tips
How to Get Oscar Winning Locks with Matrix Artistic Director, Ammon Carver
Hair Loss Treatment for Men
How to Get The Bump
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...